Paraprofessional 6th Grade
Reports To: Principal and/or Assistant Principal
Position Summary: Under general supervision of the Principal, the Instructional Paraprofessional performs a variety of duties, including providing specialized educational assistance, assisting and supporting the teacher in carrying out the objectives of the educational programs and lessons. The Instructional Paraprofessional may work with individual students or a group of students with special needs, assisting the teacher with instructional responsibilities to ensure compliance with pertinent State of Ohio and Federal educational requirements.
Status: Full-time, contracted, work schedule typically follows the student schedule.
- Assist student(s) in working with technology and computer based learning programs as directed.
- Work with student(s) and teacher(s) on academic requirements and grade appropriate work.
- Work with small groups of students, assist with small group instruction.
- Able and willing to accept assignments relative to student safety which may include restraining a student.
- Participates in identified training as necessary to meet the needs of the student assignment.
- May assist with lifting student, bath rooming and/or personal assistance depending upon the student’s needs.
- Follows all safety plans, rules, guidelines of the school.
- Works with student one-to-one with regard to academics, social skills, character education.
- Assists the teacher in lesson assessments.
- Assists students with projects, assignments.
- Acts as a good role model for all students.
- Maintains a welcoming attitude to create a positive educational environment.
- Completes all necessary training, Safe Schools training or other assigned training.
- Works collaboratively and cooperatively with administrators, staff, parents.
- Completes necessary paperwork.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Educational aide or educator licensure required. (ESEA Qualified).
- 1-2 years’ experience preferred with students with special needs.
- Maturity and patience required. Able to support students academically and emotionally in order to foster the learning process.
- Able to identify and refer situations to the Principal as needed.
- Able to demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness and monitor own work to ensure quality.
- Able to adapt to changes in the work environment, manage competing student demands and able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Able to be consistently at work and on time, follow instructions, respond to leadership direction and solicit and accept feedback to improve performance.
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds, able to bend, stoop, reach, sit in order to respond to the needs of the assigned student(s).
- Able to move as quickly as needed to respond to the needs of the assigned student(s).
- Able to restrain a student if/when necessary for the safety of the student.
While performing these duties of this job, the employee is in a classroom setting or school environment.
This position may be physically demanding at times. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls, and to reach with hands and arms. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds; able to reach, bend, sit and stoop. The employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. Employee must be willing and able to physically restrain a child if/when needed.