Assistant Kitchen Manager - Elementary
HOURLY RATE: $13.83
STANDARD HOURS PER WEEK: 32.50
MONTHS PER YEAR: 9
JOB CODE: 1155
POSITION TYPE: REPLACEMENT – REGULAR
LOCATION: RIVERDALE ELEMENTARY / THORNTON, CO
SUMMARY: Lead kitchen staff and assistant manager trainee in daily duties. Responsible for the daily preparation of food and all associated functions. Assist in promoting good customer relations by responding to comments and complaints regarding Nutrition Services in a timely manner. Assist in promoting and maintaining good relationships with the school staff, nutrition support staff and community. Ensure compliance with Health Department Standards, all safety procedures, and department policies and procedures. Support, comply with and displays knowledge of all applicable federal and state regulations. Display exceptional customer service skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. .Frequency and percentage of time may vary based on building assignment.
1. Lead and direct kitchen team in performing all food preparation activities including anticipating food production, cooking and baking. Lead team in batch cooking, replenishing fruit and vegetable bar and condiment station between lunch periods. Assist in preparing menu worksheets and ensuring they are accurately completed on a daily basis. Maintain organization of storeroom, refrigerators and freezers. Make routine decisions in absence of kitchen manager
2. Maintain compliance with Health Department standards, all safety procedures, departmental policies and procedures, including Nutrition Services SOPs and employee expectations, and all applicable state and federal regulations in assigned school. Ensure temperatures are being taken according to Nutrition Services SOP. Assure the safety of all food served, and maintains clean and sanitary food preparation and service areas.
3. Monitor cash collection from students and staff. Prepare required end-of-day reports and reconciles cash.
4. Follow special dietary needs procedure and adheres to special diets as directed.
5. Assist supervisor in developing and/or completing orders and inventory. Accept/assist with deliveries; check packing slips, receipts, temperatures, dates and stores incoming food. Manage and reports vendor issues when kitchen manager is not available.
6. Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• More than one (1) year experience in a school meal program or food service management.
• Experience with large volume food preparation preferred.
• Nutrition Services or other food service management training preferred.
• Must be a minimum of 18 years old.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS or CERTIFICATIONS:
• Criminal background check required for hire.
• Must meet minimum national professional standards and training requirements for school nutrition professionals who manage and operate the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs (currently 12 hours for Kitchen Assistant Managers).
• Ability to successfully complete a pre-hire, post-offer physical examination.
• SNA Certification preferred.
• Recommend membership in SNA and Colorado School Food Service Association (CSFSA)
• Recommended attendance at the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) summer workshop every five years.
• Recommended to attend Colorado School Nutrition Association annual conference every two years.
• Must complete the district courses “Progressive Discipline,” and “Classified Evaluation System” within one year of entering position.
• Must obtain, and thereafter maintain, a department approved food safety training program within 6 months of hire
Salary placement on our Classified Salary schedule is dependent on the Grade for the position being posted and employees’ previous work experience. “Grade” refers to position or job classification and “Step” refers to number of work experience credit or service years. Initial placement will be at the Grade for the position step 1. All Newly hired classified employees are placed initially on Step 1 of the pay grade for their position. Classified employees can advance an additional 5 steps (maximum Step 6) based on their previous experience. See our Classified Salary Schedule.
Adams 12 Five Star Schools is committed to providing an environment that promotes a healthy employee population able to serve our students at the highest level. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance as well as other programs for benefit eligible employees. The employee assistance program, voluntary life insurance through PERA, and 401(k), 403(b) & 457(b) plans are available to all employees regardless of hours worked and are available immediately (upon hire date).
To learn more about our benefits, please see our Benefits Overview.
All applicants (current district employees and external applicants) should list any and all work experience, including current district experience, when completing the employment application. Please include job titles and duties that you held while doing that job. Since the Human Resource department uses the application to screen for minimum qualifications required for each job, it is important to have a complete application so you will be considered for the position you are applying for.
THIS POSTING IS NOT INCLUSIVE OF THE JOB DESCRIPTION.