Job | Posted 3 months ago
POSITION: Bus Driver STATUS: Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Transportation Director
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must possess a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), Department of Transportation physical exam, P & S endorsements.
- Previous truck or school bus driving experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to operate various school buses functions, wheelchair lifts and bus equipment.
- Must pass criminal background check
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations relating to transportation of students.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Must have successful experience working with culturally diverse families and communities.
JOB GOAL: The School Bus Driver abides by and supports the vision, mission, values, policies and procedures of Chavez/Huerta K-12 Preparatory Academy (CHPA). The School Bus Driver is assigned a daily bus route to transport CHPA students to and from school and on additional trips throughout the academic year; abides all Federal, State and CHPA rules and regulations; manages passenger conduct and ensures passenger safety at all time.
RESPOSIBILITIES: Performs the following full range of duties to include, but not limited to:
- Follow CHPA policies and administrative rules and regulations.
- Maintain complete control of the vehicle and remain alert. Apply additional driving safety measures (e.g. chains) and evacuation procedures when necessary.
- Maintain control of passenger conduct and ensure safety of passengers.
- Work collaboratively with other drivers to plan and discuss schedule, behavior management, emergency evacuation procedures and medical emergencies.
- Provide care and assistance to passengers when entering and leaving the bus and during transportation.
- Ensure the loading and unloading of passengers safely. Secure and properly fasten all protective safety devices, car seats, lap belts and T-straps.
- Perform Pre-trip tasks – Inspect and ensure that equipment, instruments, safety devices and vehicles meet requirements and are operating properly before and after driving duties. Maintain adequate levels of fuel, engine oil and coolant.
- Drive special day trips, during weekends or at night when necessary.
- Inspect and ensure the interior and exterior cleanliness of assigned buses
- Prepare and submit necessary records timely and maintain accurate route documentation.
- Report and document emergencies, breakdowns, delays and/or accidents timely to the Transportation Director.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
*The job description does not encompass the full array of duties required for this position and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.