Assistant Athletic Director
To oversee a content area (e.g., language arts, foreign language, social studies, math, science) and serve as an instructional leader in the development, coordination and evaluation of the District's curriculum and educational programs in the content area.
- Provides direction and coordination to ensure comprehensive and sequential curriculum and instruction and development plans in the content area.
- Coordinates, supervises, and supports the teaching of the content area in the District.
- Prepares, monitors and implements individual department plans and activities, including leading department staff meetings.
- Assists in the development of the curriculum in the content area.
- Assists in the observation and evaluation of classroom teaching.
- Organizes and coordinates the content area curriculum development activities, including preparation of curriculum guides, resource units and courses of study. Assures the integration of these areas with the other curricula in the District.
- Provides for continuing improvement of instruction through professional development, cooperation with building administrators, teacher observations and classroom visits.
- Supports the introduction and utilization of innovative teaching materials and techniques in line with best educational practices.
- Organizes and conducts staff meetings for informational, curriculum development and training purposes.
- Assists in the recruitment, selection and evaluation of staff.
- Plans, compiles and manages the content area local, state and federally funded budgets.
- Maintains liaison with the State Department of Education, local universities and state and national professional organizations in the content area.
- Coordinates the selection, inventory and ordering of texts, teaching aids, software, supplies and equipment.
- Assists in the selection of teaching staff in content area.
- Makes recommendations regarding the placement and educational plans of students who are not meeting achievement levels or are in need of remedial instruction.
- Keeps current of developments in the content area and provides staff members with assistance and instructional material as appropriate.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Develops and conducts orientation in content area for new teaching staff.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Use standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travel to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Extensive knowledge of department content area
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students and parents, and to prepare oral or written communications, such as presentations, reports, memoranda, letters, grant proposals, curriculum documents, workshops and evaluations.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff, parents, community groups and others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Work in standard office and school building environments.
Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade level preferred.