Bilingual (Spanish) Instructional Aide for Pre-K/Elementary to Create a Pool for 2020-21 SY
Job Title: Bilingual Instructional Aide Wage/Hour Status: Nonexempt
Reports To: Principal andTeacher(s) assigned Pay Grade: IS32/ 187 Days
Dept/School: Bilingual/ESL Department Date Revised: September 2019
Assist in the preparation, delivery and management of bilingual classroom instructional activities as well as administrative requirements under the supervision of a certified teacher.
- Valid Texas Educational Aide certificate
- Minimum 48 hours at institute of higher learning or
- Associates Degree or
- Passed local or state assessment tool
- Demonstrate proficiency in oral and written communication in English and Spanish
- Ability to work well with children
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Ability to assist students with academic basics
- Knowledge of general office equipment
- Previous successful experience working with children
- Demonstrate acceptable work habits including teamwork, initiative and dependability.
- Report to work on time each day.
- Perform routine clerical duties for bilingual teachers.
- Assist the Bilingual teacher in preparing instructional materials and classroom displays.
- Work with individual small groups of bilingual students to conduct instructional exercises assigned by the teacher.
- Assist teachers with making parent contacts, serve as a liaison between the parents and the school.
- Assist with the administration of Spanish assessments to determine English learners’ eligibility.
- Assist in supervising bilingual students throughout the school day, both inside and outside of the schools.
- Perform cafeteria duty, bus duty and playground duty as necessary for bilingual students.
- Assist in maintaining a neat and orderly bilingual classroom.
- Assist in the use, care, and maintenance of audio-visual and other equipment as requested for use in the bilingual classroom.
- Participate in staff development training programs, faculty meetings, PTA meetings, and any other special events, as needed.
- Provide orientation and assistance for bilingual substitute teachers.
- Serve as a substitute teacher in emergency situations.
- Uphold and enforce school rules, administrative regulations, and state and local board policy.
- Keep informed and comply with all state and district policies and regulations concerning primary job functions.
- Perform any other duties and/or tasks that may be assigned on an as needed basis.
Uses copier, calculator, audiovisual equipment, and is knowledgeable of basic computer software.
Ability to read and write in English and Spanish accurately
Ability to communicate effectively in English and Spanish
Ability to maintain emotional control under stress
Ability to provide supports in English and Spanish
Constant hearing, reaching, seeing, speaking, standing and walking
Frequent light lifting and carrying, stooping, bending, pushing, kneeling, reaching overhead
Occasional heavy lifting and climbing
Near, far, and peripheral vision
Normal classroom atmosphere
Exposure to temperature extremes
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Detailed information about Salary and Benefits can be found by visiting the LISD Website.
An Educational Aide certificate is not required until a position is accepted. Application for the certificate is required before starting the position.