Cook/Cashier- 3 - 4.5 hours
Work under moderate supervision to prepare and serve appropriate quantities of food to meet menu requirements. Maintain high standards of quality in food production, sanitation, and safety practices.
High school diploma or GED
Food Handlers Certification (obtained within two (2) months of hire)
Working knowledge of kitchen equipment and food production procedures
Ability to understand written and verbal food preparation and safety instructions
Ability to operate large and small kitchen equipment and tools
Ability to work well and in a positive manner with staff, students, and public
Ability to perform basic math
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Prepare quality food according to a planned menu of tested and standardized recipes.
- Serve food according to meal schedules, departmental policies and procedures; practice and promote portion control and proper use of leftovers.
- Store and handle food items and supplies safely and according to established procedures.
- Maintain a clean and organized storage area.
- Operate tools and equipment according to prescribed safety standards, and follow established procedures to meet high standards of cleanliness, health, and safety.
- Keep garbage collection containers and areas neat and sanitary.
- Correct unsafe conditions in work area and promptly report any conditions that are not immediately correctable to supervisor.
- Maintain personal appearance and hygiene.
- Handle and record cashier functions accurately.
- Assist with recording food requisitions and order necessary supplies.
- Maintain daily food preparation records.
- Follow all district and department policy and procedures.
- Promote teamwork and interaction with fellow staff members.
- Maintain student confidentiality information.
- Annually attend the Texas Department of Agriculture child nutrition summer workshops
- Attend all required training as directed (minimum of 6 hours annually).
- The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard large and small kitchen equipment and tools including electric slicer,
mixer, pressure steamer, sharp cutting tools, stove, oven, dishwasher, and food/utility cart
Posture: Prolonged standing; frequent kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Continual walking; frequent climbing (ladder), grasping/squeezing, wrist flexion/extension, reaching/overhead reaching
Lifting: Frequent moderate lifting and carrying (15–50 pounds)
Environment: Work inside in commercial kitchen environment; exposure to extreme hot and cold temperatures, extreme humidity, noise, vibration, microwaves, biological hazards (bacteria, mold, fungi), chemical hazards (fumes, vapors, gases), electrical hazards; work with hands in water; work around machinery with moving parts; work on slippery surfaces
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress
Applicants for all positions are considered without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status. Additionally, the district does not discriminate against an applicant who acts to oppose such discrimination or participates in the investigation of a complaint related to a discriminating employment practice. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of Human Resources, 208 E. Brier St. Burnet, TX 78611; 512-756-2124.