Custodian 4 Hour (2020-21 School Year)
Job | Posted 3 months ago
Performs a variety of work in connection with the custodial, grounds cleanup, and light maintenance at a school campus, classroom, multi-use, office, or related facilities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Cleans, dusts, and disinfects restrooms including floors, stalls, toilets, urinals, and fixtures. Removes trash and waste. Cleans trash receptacles and replaces liners. Replenishes soap and towel dispensers.
- Cleans public entry and use areas including, but not limited to hallways, stairways, and meeting rooms. Cleans and disinfects drinking fountains, door handles, and door push plates.
- Sweeps and mops hard floors and baseboards, spot cleaning as necessary and wet mopping on a regularly scheduled basis. Vacuums and spot cleans carpeted areas.
- Performs regularly scheduled cleaning of classroom, laboratory, and office areas including, but not limited to furniture, fixtures, and boards.
- Maintains safe and clean walkway and grounds surrounding the assigned area. Picks up litter. Empties and cleans outdoor trash.
- Rearranges, moves, and sets furniture and equipment in place, according to established instructions and seating arrangements. Participates with others to assemble furniture, removing from and properly disposing of packaging materials.
- Sets up and takes down seating and equipment for various events, including theater and gymnasium use. Sets up special equipment such as barriers, benches, bleachers, floor mats, and other equipment.
- Participates in major cleaning projects that include, but are not limited to, carpet cleaning and floor stripping and refinishing.
- Secures internal and external entry and exit doors, ensuring that windows and lights are locked and off.
- Communicates the need for work order requests for maintenance services to the Head Custodian or other designated resource. Documents work activities and unanticipated occurrences.
- Checks and records emergency eye wash and shower stations, fire extinguishers, first aid kits, emergency telephones for proper functioning or stock.
- Inspects equipment used on a regular basis for function and required servicing. Makes minor repairs and arranges for complex repairs.
- May perform routine minor servicing and maintenance to fixtures such as, but not limited to minor plumbing adjustments, oiling of door hinges and wall panel glide tracks, tightening of loose fixtures, repair of electrical cords, repair or replacement of dispensers, and minor carpet repairs.
- Maintains a safe working environment in the assigned area(s), notifying the appropriate resources of safety hazards observed and/or takes action to mitigate or eliminate potential hazardous conditions.
- Ensures that secondary containers for cleaning and other products are properly labeled. Follows Safety Data Sheet (SDS) instructions for handling and disposal of custodial products.
- Maintains current knowledge of proper safety precautions and proper use of cleaning materials and chemicals in use in laboratory areas.
- May provide basic orientation on work methods, equipment operation, and time saving techniques to new custodians.
- Communicates the need for supplies and replacement components as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned that support the objectives of the position
- Knowledge and Skills:
- The position requires thorough knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in custodial care and routine facilities maintenance. Requires a thorough knowledge of the buildings and grounds of the assigned site. Requires basic knowledge of daily school schedules and routines. Requires working knowledge of work hazards and safe work techniques, including lifting procedures. Requires basic knowledge of chemical reactions and proper safety precautions for use. Requires basic knowledge of fixture, repairs. Requires sufficient reading and writing ability to read work instructions and document work activity onto standardized forms. Requires sufficient human relations skill to work with other Custodians and exercise courtesy when dealing with others.
- Requires the ability to perform all essential duties of the position with limited supervision. Must be able to observe all safety precautions and procedures. Must be able to operate and maintain tools and equipment in a working condition. Requires the ability to perform routine maintenance tasks and to be able to determine when to refer more complex maintenance requirements to a supervisor Requires the ability to follow oral and written directions and to work independently and collaboratively. Must be able to apply District policies and procedures. Must be able to respond to emergencies. May be required to work various work shifts to support special projects and events. Requires the ability to obtain district-sponsored Hazardous Materials Awareness training. May require the ability to obtain a First Aid and CPR card within a reasonable time.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or GED.
- One year of prior custodial experience.
Licenses and Certificates:
- May require a valid driver’s license.
- Must pass an approved pre-placement medical assessment.
- High School diploma or GED.
Salary and Terms of Service:
Salary range (26) $17.10 - $21.22 per hour, eight (8) steps, four (4) hours per day and five (5) days per week (M-F). Holidays, sick leave and vacation benefits. Prepaid family dental, medical, and vision insurance, prepaid life insurance plan for employee only, prorated according to number of hours worked.
Required Application Procedure:
Apply Online. An online application and all documents supporting the application requirements noted above must accompany your application by the closing date in order to receive consideration for this position. It shall be the applicant's responsibility to supply copies of all documentation, letters of recommendation etc. or other related materials.
A screening committee will evaluate each application, personal resume, and other letters of reference. Interviews will be scheduled for qualified applicants. If after interviews suitable applicants are not found, the search will continue. As required by California State Law, should you be employed by the District, your fingerprints will be taken and submitted to the Justice Department and the FBI for a background check. Processing fee will be at applicant’s expense.
Panama-Buena Vista Union School District
4200 Ashe Road, Bakersfield, CA 93313
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $11,136
% ELL Students
State Average: 21%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 23.63
% IEP Students
State Average: 12%
State Average: 496