Technical Support Specialist (2 Positions)
VACANCY: The Valley View Public School District is seeking two individuals to fill two full-time Technical Support Specialist positions.
JOB SUMMARY: As a member of the Operations Support team of Valley View School District’s Technology Department, work under the general direction of the Operations Support Manager and the day to day direction of the Lead Technician to provide:
- Students with a creative and innovative learning environment
- Students with opportunities to access, process, evaluate and analyze information through the use of technology
- The ability for all students to communicate, collaborate and participate in the global society as safe, ethical and law abiding digital citizens
- Students the ability to understand technology systems, in order to select and use applications effectively
- Support of technology resources that provide learning and growth for all and guarantee that students have equitable access to technology resources
- Staff access to technology and data analysis tools in order to increase their efficiency and effectiveness
- A commitment, plan and realization of integrating appropriate emerging instructional and information technology into all curricular areas
- Increased efficiency and effectiveness for staff members through the use of instructional technology for curriculum development
- Staff with professional development opportunities
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: In order to support the above, the Technical Support Specialist will fulfill the following job functions for the organization:
- Provide secure and efficient response to requests for initial support of student and staff computing devices, the technology infrastructure; troubleshoot/resolve operational systems and applications utilized by the organization. These requests are managed by all technician support specialists utilizing a work order system and received via phone calls, walk-ins or emailed to helpdesk from VVSD students, staff and stakeholders
- Coordinate escalation requests with the Lead Technician
- Provide one on one or group training to staff on hardware, software and procedural topics
- Perform and coordinate technical services to district computers, printers and other end user equipment
- Ensure that all systems, procedures and work practices follow established standards of security and quality control
- Develop procedures and documentation to aid in providing a secure and highly functioning environment for both staff and students
- Use communication / informational tools, such as the Helpdesk website, Wikis etc, to ensure accurate and timely information regarding issues, new procedures etc. are communicated to staff, students and community stakeholders
- Create, modify and update technical support documents for both technical and non-technical staff; to provide end users with information on how to resolve problems, perform functions, complete procedures, etc.
- Monitoring applications
- Reporting tools
- Associates degree in computer science or related field or comparable knowledge and skills gained through work experience
- At least 2 years of work experience within a technical support or customer support role
- At least 2 years of work experience within a school district preferred
- Experience and technical certifications such as a CompTIA A+ preferred
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong technical and analytical skills with proven problem-solving ability
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal; as well as technical and non-technical communication skills)
- Focus on secure work practices; ability to follow security protocols with emphasis on ensuring confidentiality in the work environment
- Ability to work under pressure and provide a high level of customer support, maintain composure and focus regardless of the situation
- Flexible and open to change within a dynamic work environment
- Foster a positive working and learning environment.
- Ability to work successfully under direction, independently and in conjunction with other departmental team members that have varying levels of technical expertise;
- Willingness to take a team perspective and view situations from a District wide rather than local perspective
- Strong organizational skills that includes work flow management, time management and planning ability
- Ability to provide technical support and training to end users in “laypersons’ terms” at their technical level and often on their schedule
- Ability to work a flexible schedule; either five (5) eight (8) hour days or four (4) ten (10) hour days with a potential start time between 6 am and 9 am with corresponding finish times. Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends a plus
- Valid driver’s license with own vehicle as this position requires the staff member to drive between District locations throughout Bolingbrook and Romeoville on a daily basis; work locations vary and can change on a daily basis
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:The work year for this position is 12 months. The salary is based on market and district comparisons as determined by the Superintendent or his/her designee.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applicants should apply online at www.vvsd.org and upload a letter of interest, resume and three (3) letters of recommendation dated within the past twelve (12) months or mail to Human Resources, 801 W. Normantown Road, Romeoville, IL 60446.
SELECTION PROCEDURE: The deadline for receiving applications is Open Until Filled. Interviews with selected applicants will be held as soon as practicable.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER