Bucktail Assistant Boys Basketball Coach
ASSISTANT ATHLETIC COACH
TITLE: Assistant Coach (High School and/or Middle School)
JOB DESCRIPTION: The job of Assistant Coach is done for the purpose/s of assisting the designing and implementing of the athletic program for the assigned sport in accordance with the applicable rules and regulations:
- Providing supervision of students during all aspects of the program.
- Serving as a positive role model to the student athletes and represents the Keystone Central School district in a well respected manner.
- Upgrading his/her knowledge and skills through coaching clinics, observations consultation, etc.
- Previous coaching experience in assigned sport is desired.
- Has knowledge and background in the assigned sport.
- Knowledge of the technical and fundamental aspects of the assigned sport.
- High moral character, proper role model for the students and the community, integrity, and effectively communicates well with players, parents, community members, coaches, and school officials.
- Ability to organize, supervise and give direction to a sports team/program.
- A commitment and willingness to continue to learn and examine new ideas pertinent to the assigned sport.
- Proper working knowledge of rules and regulations established by the Keystone Central School District, Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association (PIAA), and Pennsylvania Heartland Athletic Conference (PHAC).
- Must obtain or willing to obtain the following:
- PA Criminal Background Check (Act 34)
- Child Abuse History (Act 151)
- Federal Criminal History (FBI)
- Arrest Conviction Report and Certification Form (Act 24)
- Mandated Reporter Training
- Sexual Abuse Misconduct
- Concussion Certification
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest Form
- Must obtain or willing to obtain PA Coaching Certifications by June 30, 2018
- Fundamentals of Coaching
- First Aid, Health, and Safety for Coaches
- The head coach, in conjunction with the athletic director and respective principal.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Has thorough knowledge of all the athletic policies approved by the KCSD School Board of Education and is responsible for its implementation.
- Understands the proper administrative chain of command and refers all student/parent requests or grievances through the proper channels.
- Maintains discipline and works to increase morale and cooperation within the school sports program.
COACHING RESPONSIBLITIES TO THE STUDENTS:
- To demonstrate the character traits of trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship.
- Give constant attention to a student athlete’s grades and conduct.
- Be present at all practices, games and while traveling.
- Provide assistance, guidance and safeguards for each participant.
- Provide training rules and any other unique regulations of the sport to each athlete who is considered a participant.
- Understand the policies concerning injuries, medical attention and emergencies.
- Direct student managers, student assistants and statisticians.
- Determine discipline, help delineate procedures concerning due process when the enforcement of discipline is necessary and contacts parents.
- To foster a desire to win, an attitude of good sportsmanship, personal pride, and pride for their school and community.
EQUIPMENT AND FACILITIES:
- Collect the cost of any equipment lost or not returned.
- Arrange for issuing and storing of equipment and submits to the head coach an annual inventory and current records concerning the same.
- Recommend to the head coach budgetary items for next year in his/her area of the program.
- Monitor the equipment rooms and coaches’ offices and authorizes who may enter.
- Permit the athletes to only be in authorized areas of the building at the appropriate times.
- Examine the locker rooms before and after practices and games, checking on general cleanliness of the facility.
- Responsible for cleanliness and maintenance of specific sport equipment.
- Secure all doors, lights, windows and locks before leaving building if custodians are not on duty.
- Instill in each player a respect for equipment and school property, its care and proper use.
- Assist the head coach with instructing players in the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
- Assess player’s skills, monitor players during competition and practice, and keeps the head Coach informed of the athletic performance of the students.
- Maintain a record of team statistics and requirements for lettering. (For both head coach and athletic director)
- Work within the basic framework and philosophy of the head coach of that sport and assists with determining game strategy.
- Assist the head Coach with supervising athletes during practices and competition.
- Attend all staff meetings and carry out scouting assignments as outlined by the head coach.
- Model sport-like behavior and maintain appropriate conduct towards players, officials, and spectators.
- Arrive 15 minutes before practice, contests and meetings to adequately prepare and remains long enough afterwards to help players with problems or to become involved in staff discussions.
- Help in the planning and implementation of both in-season and out-of-season conditioning and weight programs.Attendance should be consistent.
- Never criticize, admonish, or argue with head coach or any staff member within ears or eyes of players or parents.
- Never leave practices, games, or any other contest where a student’s attendance is requested until the last student has left.
- Perform other such duties that are consistent with the nature of the position and that may be requested by the head coach.