Teaching Assistant - Health Aid
Posted 3 months ago
SHAWNEE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
SHAWNEE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Job Title: Health Aid
Reports To: Nurse Coordinator and/or Principal
Site: Various sites in Shawnee Public Schools
Credentials: None required. CPR certification preferred.
Education: Associate Degree or 60 hours college credit or have passed the Oklahoma General Education Test
Training or Experience Required: Previous work or volunteer experience with children, teenagers, or clerical experience preferred.
Job Summary: The Health Aide Teacher Assistant performs entry level to semi-skilled level duties under general supervision to assist with medical issues. He/she is responsible for promoting, improving, and maintaining the health of students. The Health Aide Teacher Assistant serves as a resource person in matters of health and functions as an integral part of the school staff.
Knowledge, Skills, Competencies and Abilities:
- Effective interpersonal skills in managing and interacting with diverse stakeholders.
- Effective communication skills (oral, written, and/or business) to exchange information, give/receive simple instructions and to respond to inquiries. This includes filling out forms properly.
- Effective and accurate data recording/record keeping. This includes the ability to perform non-complex recording/record keeping operations requiring logging, filing or posting single entry items either manually or by computer.
- Knowledge of basic mathematical skills to perform routine computations requiring knowledge of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division using whole numbers, fractions, decimals and/or percentages.
- Ability to read and interpret routine written or printed materials such as charts, diagrams, maps or instruction material.
- Ability to use and have knowledge of technology devices including but not limited to computers, copiers, and medical equipment.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of grammatical structure and vocabulary for preparing correspondence from rough draft to proofing of completed material.
- Knowledge and experience with federal, state, and district health guidelines.
- Ability to interpret and translate facts and information to explain situations and issues to others.
- Demonstrated customer service/people skills to resolve problems and provide information as requested.
- Knowledge of and ability to follow safety guidelines and policies to reduce accident or injury to self or to students, inclusive of the District Exposure Control Plan for Bloodborne Pathogens.
- Alerts teacher to health needs of students.
- Assists students with personal care needs.
- Assists with minor first aid.
- Communicates\health issues sensitively and accurately with students and parents. This may include letters home.
- Facilitates appointments with health care providers and/or clinic appointments.
- Supervises students inside and outside the classroom.
- Administers medications according to doctor’s orders or student health plans. This includes the 5 “rights”: right patient, right route, right medication, right time, and right documentation.
- Assists students with normal activities.
- Follows all HIPPA, and FERPA guidelines.
- Meets district standards of performance and follows all board policies.
- Performs other health related duties, or tasks as assigned.
Complies with Shawnee's Mission Statement in which students are to be provided with skills, knowledge and attitudes to become lifelong learners, complex thinkers, and responsible citizens in an ever-changing global society.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Other than those physical/mental requirements included within the essential duties and responsibilities, this job requires frequent bending/stooping and occasional to frequent squatting/crouching, reaching above the shoulder, and pushing and pulling.
- There is occasional lifting up to 45 pounds to assist the lifting of chairs, classroom equipment and supplies.
- The dexterity to operate keyboards, computers, copy machines, and other office/instructional machines is required.
- Mobility to get around the classroom, media center, cafeteria, campus, etc. is required.
Evaluation: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Shawnee Board Policy on evaluation of personnel.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Revised: April 21, 2020