Bus Driver - McLaurin Zone
Receives guidance from:
Director and/or Assistant Director of Transportation, Principal, or Assistant Principal
Compliant with position, salary and FLSA regulations
- In keeping a tradition of excellence, the purpose of the Bus Driver is to provide safe, courteous, and comfortable transportation for elementary, middle, and high school children on daily bus route; along with assisting children with boarding, exiting the bus, loading/unloading, and practice and/or implement safety plan measures in a crisis drill or actual emergency situation. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Know, recognize and obey road signs and signals by meaning, shapes, sounds and colors.
Exercise the effective defensive driving skills of self-control, alertness, foresight, and good judgment at all times while operating the school bus
Conduct a thorough pre-trip and post-trip inspection of the school bus
Maintain routes and schedules as planned by the local school board
Remain alert at all times to hazards, including but not limited to poor weather conditions, other vehicles, road conditions and trains at railroad crossings
Report any hazards along the existing route to appropriate school officials
Keep exterior clean and adjusted mirrors at all times
Keep the interior for the bus clean and sanitary, enforcing regulations against eating and drinking on the bus
Transport only authorized students
Maintain student discipline on the bus and reports student discipline referrals to the principal with copies to the Transportation Director
Exercise responsible leadership when on out-of-district school trips when assigned
Complete reports on bus discipline as required by the local school board
The driver shall not, at any time, permit students to stand in the stepwell or loading area or where the student would likely fall out of the bus if the rear emergency door was opened or where the driver’s view is obscured
Report all accidents
Notify the Director of Transportation or Shop Foreman of mechanical failure of the bus or lateness in meeting route schedule
Participate in semi-annual safety and procedures training
Perform a minimum of two school bus evacuation drills each school year utilizing appropriate emergency procedures
Perform any other duties as assigned by the Transportation Director
Such additional health and age requirements as the Board may require
Satisfactory Participation in DOT Random Testing
Ability to complete basic written reports
Ability to follow written route instructions
Lead and attend staff meetings/trainings as applicable; serve on staff committees
Assume responsibility for own professional growth and development, for keeping current with literature, new research findings, for attending appropriate professional meetings and conferences, and to maintain any credits and/or continued education for maintenance of licensure/qualifications required for the position
Maintain and accept responsibility for any district owned fixed asset item assigned to employee and ensure appropriate use by following district policies for acceptable use
Undergo periodic evaluations according to state and board policy procedures
Regular, dependable, in person attendance is an essential function of this position
Perform such other and not specifically enumerated duties as may be requested by the Board of Education, superintendent, administrator, director or established by district policy
Read, understand, and abide by Employee Conduct Policy, GAB, all other district, state and federal policies, and procedures and protocols as established by RCSD and the Mississippi Educator Code of Conduct
Education Level: High School Diploma
Certification: Current MDE Driver Certification, or be able to obtain
Other Requirements: Be able to pass a background check, pass agility test, hold a valid Commercial Driver’s License with “P” and “S” endorsements, or be able to obtain, Current DOT/Non-DOT physical, or be able to obtain
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. The requirements include abiding by all health requirements set forth for school bus drivers. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands for fine manipulation, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms using equipment such as a keyboard and video display terminal. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, reach, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment is not a standard office setting; but rather encompasses the entire active school campus both inside and outside the facilities. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate and occasionally high.
Note: This is not an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions or working conditions associated with the job. The job description is not a contract of employment or a promise or guarantee of any specific terms or conditions of employment. The school district may add to, modify or delete any aspect of this job (or the position itself) at any time as it deems advisable.
Terms of Employment:
- Salary, days and work year as established by the Rankin County Board of Education
- Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the provisions of the Rankin County School Board policy on Evaluation of Employees.