Food Services Assistant Director
FOOD SERVICES ASSISTANT DIRECTOR
The Assistant Food Services Director is instrumental in maintaining established quality standards to ensure superior service. The primary function of this position is to help create and maintain an exceptional food services program for approximately 4300 students and 700 staff.
Primary Responsibilities include: Supervision of Food Service Department staff for all schools in accordance with the New Canaan Public Schools policies, procedures and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; ensuring adherences to district policies and procedures; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Assists with planning, organizing, scheduling, and implementing resources to achieve established goals and objectives of providing an appealing, nutritious menu in the most cost efficient and effective manner. New Canaan Public Schools prepare food from scratch based on thoughtfully developed recipes, utilizing locally grown produce and commodities and avoids the use of processed foods wherever possible.
- Partners with the Director of Food Services to develop short and long-term operational plans, and assists with preparing the annual budget.
- Assists in the daily operation of the food service program through hands-on teamwork with the staff and administration for all schools, including frequent communication that ensures timely and efficient service.
- Creates a harmonious working relationship with staff and administration by demonstrating consistent and equitable treatment of workers while providing excellent customer service.
- Assists in determining work procedures, preparing work schedules, and expediting workflow, and trains staff as required.
- Assists in planning menus, ordering product and cooking, preparation, presentation and service of food for daily meals, special events and catering orders.
- Maintains product and service quality standards by conduction ongoing evaluations and investigating complaints.
- Supervises direct reports, ensuring accountability for meeting/exceeding clearly defined expectations.
- Collects, records and reports quantities used, amounts produced, amounts left over and meal counts accurately, and ensures the accuracy of monthly inventory. Including proper labeling, dating and rotation of product in dry storage, coolers and freezers.
- Maintains and plans for the food services equipment repairs and replacement.
- Supervises the overall sanitation and safety of the food service facility and staff in accordance with both district standards and government regulations.
- Oversees adherence with district standards for preparation, presentation, service, safety, and sanitation (meeting HACCP and OSHA guidelines).
- Assists with the development of sanitation schedules and ensures that food service employees adhere to the schedule for cleaning of kitchen areas and washing of kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Maintains sanitation and orderliness of all equipment, supplies and utensils within work area, and ensures that staff handles foods items appropriately during preparation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: A culinary degree and a minimum of 5-years’ experience in an organization that produces a high volume of meals and current safety certifications.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to calculate quantities and numbers based on formulas and other variables.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the Assistant Food Services Director is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and or move up to 50 pounds.
Please complete the online application on the district website www.ncps-k12.org and upload a cover letter, resume, three letters of recommendation and transcripts.