Transportation-Bus Drivers (CDL License with "S" Endorsement Required)
Position Title: Bus Driver
Building: Bus Garage Transportation
Reports To: Director of Transportation
Starting Hourly Rate: $18.50 Routes and Trips
Under the direction and supervision of the Transportation Director, the person in this position is responsible for transporting students over specified routes according to a time schedule. The driver in this position must comply with traffic regulations.
11 Paid Holidays
Paid Sick Days
Participation in IMRF Pension System
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Must have no points on driving record and able to pass physical including drug test (random DOT regulation testing).
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Must possess a valid CDL license and have a safe driving record. Must possess a school bus permit.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Drives a school bus safely and professionally.
- Performs and properly completes daily pre-trip inspections.
- Complies with all traffic ordinances.
- Complies with discipline policies set forth in the School Code of Conduct for Transportation.
- Participates in on-site training.
- Shows proficiency in handling and maneuvering a school bus.
- Previous experience as a school bus driver preferred.
- The ability to build and maintain relationships with colleagues that supports a cooperative work environment. Must have effective and positive communication skills.
- Computer knowledge for accessing district emails/information.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REASONING/OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- The ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies.
- The ability to work in a friendly manner with co-workers and students.
- The ability to read and understand maps.
- The ability to communicate clearly and concisely both in oral and written form.
- The ability to apply commonsense and understanding in order to carry out detailed written or oral instructions.
- The ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, bend, speak, and listen. In addition the employee is required to bend, twist, reach and climb. Some heavy lifting is required. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, peripheral and distant vision. Must be able to drive district vehicles.
The noise level in the work environment ranges from quiet/moderate to loud to where you have to raise your voice to be heard. The employee may occasionally be required to interact with the public and other staff. The employee is directly responsible for the safety and well-being of co-workers and transportation staff.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in temperatures above 100 and below 32 and occasionally will walk on slippery surfaces. The employee must be able to meet deadlines with severe time constraints and interact with public and other workers.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by (an) individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities related to the position. This job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity and School Board Policy and procedures. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.