School Bus Aide
Position Purpose: The School Bus Aide assists the bus driver in providing safe transportation for students.
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
The School Bus Aide shall:
1. Assist the bus driver in maintaining student conduct on the bus.
2. Assist young or disabled students in getting on and off the bus.
3. Provide written records of violations of student code to the Principal or designee.
4. Collect personal items left on the bus and turn them over to the school secretary.
5. Provide instruction to students regarding passenger safety and ensure that students wear their seat belts when the bus is so equipped.
6. Participate in scheduled emergency bus exit drills.
7. Assist bus driver and students in case of an accident.
8. Prepare reports as required.
9. Display the highest ethical and professional behavior in working with students, parents, school personnel, and outside agencies associated with the school.
10. Serve as a role model for students and staff in demonstrating positive attitudes, appropriate attire and grooming, and an effective work ethic.
11. Participate in appropriate in-service and workshop programs and attend any required meetings.
12. Use computers and/or electronic equipment to fulfill job functions.
13. Protect confidentiality of records and information about staff, and use discretion when sharing any such information within legal confines.
14. Adhere to federal statutes and regulations, State Board of Education rules and regulations, Board of Education policies and procedures, and contractual obligations.
15. Perform any duties and responsibilities that are within the scope of employment, as assigned by the Administration, and not otherwise prohibited by law or regulation.
16. Maintain discipline on bus at all times.
Qualifications: Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Bilingual, both oral and written, ability (English/Spanish) is preferred.
- Successful prior experience working as a bus driver, preferably in a school district or transporting children.
- Travels to and from school district buildings, to vehicle service stations, field trip locations and other destinations are required.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job and are not meant to be all inclusive. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job. Unless reasonable accommodations can be made, while performing this job the staff member shall:
1. Use strength to lift items needed to perform the functions of the job.
2. Sit, stand and walk for required periods of time.
3. Speak and hear.
4. Use close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception along with the ability to focus vision.
5. Communicate effectively in English, using proper grammar and vocabulary. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
6. Reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers to handle objects and operate tools, computers, and/or controls.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.Application Procedure: