Secondary Language Arts Teacher
Fort Yukon School is seeking a qualified, enthusiastic Secondary Language Arts Teacher for the 2020-2021 School-year. Fort Yukon School has a K-12 enrollment of approximately 115 students. The Secondary Language Arts Teacher would have teaching responsibilities for English Reading and Writing Instruction in grades 7 - 12. There is a strong Team cohesiveness among the Staff dedicated to excellence in education for the children of Fort Yukon. Yukon Flats School District is seeking candidates to apply who would like to join our team with a sense of commitment to the exciting initiatives currently underway and planned for next year and beyond. The District encompasses a vast geographical area where the District operates 6 schools of which Fort Yukon School is the largest. Fort Yukon is a special community with a prominent place and significance in the history of rural Alaska. The population is primarily Gwich'in Athabascan and has a strong cultural base. Fort Yukon is accessible only by plane (or boat prior to freeze-up) and is serviced at least 2 times daily by 2 separate air carriers. There is a resident physician and active health clinic, and a relatively large grocery store.
POSITION: Junior/Senior High School English Teacher
1. B.A. / B.S. degree
2. State of Alaska, Type A certificate.
3. Demonstrated teaching experience.
4. Demonstrated competence and performance in literary skills instruction (language arts, reading, & journalism).
5. Computer literate.
- Master's degree
- Experience and or training in special education or English as a Second Language.
- Special Education endorsement.
- Experience in small school programs.
- Experience in developing innovative / alternative instructional programs, including computer assisted instruction.
- Experience in working with Alaska Native populations.
- Experience living in rural isolated areas.
1. Observes all District Board policies and regulations.
2. Carries out special education programs as prescribed by State and Federal laws.
3. Works with the local school committee and site administrator to establish relevant and meaningful educational programs.
4. Assists in the selection, implementation and evaluation of the curriculum.
5. Willing to assist with after school enrichment activities.
6. Delivers instructional programs in various grades and / or subjects.
7. Establishes good communication between the school, parents, community, and the district.
8. Keeps required records and follows reporting procedures.
9. Ability to coach or direct sports / physical education activity.
10. Assumes other position related duties as prescribed by the site administrator.