Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to develop students' skills and competence in marketing; develop and implement an instructional program that will effectively meet the needs of all students.
• Develops and administers marketing education curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives; develops marketing units to be delivered in the classroom.
• Teaches skill and knowledge in marketing.
• Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
• Develops lesson plans and instructional materials, and utilizes appropriate equipment for subject area; translates lesson plans into learning experiences to develop pertinent sequential assignments, challenge students, and best utilize the available time for instruction.
• Designs learning activities to demonstrate the application of technical skills to everyday existence; guides students in the selection of projects or experiments.
• Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
• Maintains familiarity with district and Virginia State standardized tests for the purpose of adapting curriculum to maximize student achievement on such tests.
• Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
• Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
• Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
• Ensures that student conduct conforms to the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
• Coordinates with other professionals to include building principal, director of secondary instruction, staff members, and others for the purpose of maximizing the uses and effectiveness of technology in student learning activities.
• Selects and requisitions appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records; ensures machines and equipment are in proper working order.
• Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
• Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
• Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
• Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
• Knowledge of a wide range of industrial, technical and technology-related subject areas, as well as best practices in incorporating technology into student learning activities.
• Knowledge of marketing industry
• Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
• Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
• Ability to organize and coordinate work.
• Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
• Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
• Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
• Works in standard office and school building environments
• Virginia State Certification – Marketing Education
• Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
• Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment
• Successful prior teaching experience preferred.
FLSA Status: Exempt