2020-2021 SY: Reading Specialist
Job | Posted 6 days ago
District-based including campus site support
Executive Director, Curriculum and Instruction
Hours required to complete the job; minimum 40/week
Level 2 or Level 3
All positions with Santa Fe Public Schools require a post offer/pre-employment background check. Some positions have additional requirements as established by Federal or State Rules and Regulations.
Support district efforts to increase reading proficiency through data analysis, collaborative planning, professional development, improvement of instructional practices, and teacher support. Coach and model best practices in balanced literacy and demonstrate use of program materials to improve reading instruction. Assist teachers in interpreting and analyzing data for on-going instruction and interventions. Support district implementation of RtI/MTSS framework in classrooms. Work with teachers through a reflective teaching and learning process to improve instructional practices utilizing evidence-based literacy instructional strategies..
Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in education. Level 2 teaching license. Strong understanding of data and the use of data for planning and implementation for teaching and learning.
Preferred: Level 3A teaching license. Previous instructional and/or data coaching experience. Training in data analysis. Prior classroom teaching experience.
Knowledge/Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of evidence-based instruction and techniques in reading/language arts, K-16. Knowledge of RtI/MTSS framework. Knowledge of Professional Learning Communities, data disaggregation, and ability to lead data-driven discussions on improving instructional practice. Strong understanding and ability to have teachers reflect upon their teaching and their student data. Experience in developing, organizing and delivering professional development. Strong communication and relationship building skills; excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to prioritize and organize projects throughout all levels of educational settings (within the district and school). Strong understanding of MAPS, STAR, Istation and NM-MSSA assessments. Strong understanding of foundational reading skills (phonics, phonemic awareness, etc.). Ability to support student learning in students’ home/heritage languages.
Essential Job Functions
All functions are performed in accordance with established policies, procedures, safety and environmental regulations, facility and computer security policies and procedures. Functions are
subject to change from time to time to meet the needs of the District. Current essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Visit classrooms regularly to observe teachers’ instructional practices and routines for reading instruction.
- Provide teachers with assistance in implementing new teaching strategies through coaching and modeling.
- Provide quality feedback on reading instruction; make recommendations for continued improvements in the implementation of reading/language arts content materials and instructional models.
- Provide coaching and modeling in balanced literacy and use of district-adopted reading instructional materials.
- Provide guidance to teachers in the implementation of curriculum maps and pacing guides for reading/language arts.
- Support and guide teachers to adopt RtI/MTSS framework in instructional practice.
- Collect, review and analyze reading/language arts data with teachers, principals and district personnel.
- Use a continuous improvement cycle to work with teachers on using data to inform instruction.
- Use data to guide a reflective conversational process when coaching and mentoring teachers.
- Lead, facilitate, and participate regularly in PLC meetings.
- Mentor and coach teachers in the interpretation of student data.
- Facilitate onsite professional development and follow-up.
- Provide technical assistance to principals regarding high quality reading instruction.
- Participate in school leadership team meetings.
- Assist teachers in identification of students needing intervention and providing coaching on appropriate instructional interventions.
- Work collaboratively with teachers, other literacy coaches and district personnel on reading instruction, professional development, data analysis and implementation of interventions for at-risk students.
- Other duties as assigned.
Resources Used in Performing Job Include (but are not limited to):
Standard Office equipment
Regularly required to stand; move throughout the room and/or facility; communicate verbally and electronically; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl. Occasionally required to sit, climb, and balance, and drive. Regularly required to lift or exert force of up to 25 pounds; frequently required to lift or exert force of up to 50 pounds; and occasionally required to lift or exert force of up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level is usually moderate. Occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions. Occasionally required to travel to other facilities within the District.
- Demonstrates reliability as evidenced by attendance records and punctuality.
- Properly notifies supervisor and/or designee of absences or tardiness.
- Begins and completes work within the allotted time.
- Consistently appears in attire appropriate to the work environment.
- Demonstrates skill in the use of equipment including its capabilities, limitations and appropriate/ special application.
- Protects the District’s resources through appropriate and careful use of supplies and equipment.
- Utilizes appropriate body mechanics to aid in the prevention of muscle strain/injury.
Santa Fe Public Schools
610 ALTA VISTA ST., SANTA FE, NM 87501
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $11,258 (USD)
% ELL Students
State Average: 16%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 15.45
% IEP Students
State Average: 15%
State Average: 228