Supervisor of Buildings & Grounds
TITLE ............................................................ Supervisor of Buildings and Grounds
DEPARTMENT ............................................. Buildings and Grounds
CLASSIFICATION ....................................... Exempt/Salary/12 Months
REPORTS TO .............................................. Business Manager
EVALUATION ............................................... To be completed by Business Manager
To maintain the physical school plants in condition of operating excellence so that full educational use of it may be made at all times.
- High school diploma
- Demonstrated aptitude or competence for assigned responsibilities
- Demonstrated aptitude for supervising other individuals
- Working knowledge of plumbing, electricity, and heating/air conditioning systems
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Examine school buildings on a regular basis for needed repairs and maintenance.
- Establish and recommend priorities on repair projects.
- Estimate cost of repair projects as regards labor, material, and overhead.
- Assign and supervise crews of crafts people for maintenance work, such as replacing worn or defective wiring, switches, faucets, plumbing fixtures, and repairing fencing, asphalt, concrete ceilings, etc.
- Lay out and inspect work and assist maintenance crew members.
- Develop a system for dealing with emergency repair problems with efficiency.
- Prepare and maintain reports on costs of work/projects completed, materials utilized, and labor expended.
- Order materials and supplies as needed, as well as make recommendations of supplies and equipment for purchase.
- Assign work orders, check drawings and plans.
- Consult with building principals regarding the establishment of regular preventive maintenance programs.
- Maintain personnel and maintenance records as required.
- Assist in the recruitment, screening, recommendation for hiring, and training of all individuals employed for the maintenance and/or custodial department.
- Serve as an advisor on the hiring of contractors to perform certain maintenance and/or repair services.
- Establish and administer schedules and procedures for the regular and on-going custodial care of all school and office facilities of the district.
- Call meetings of the maintenance staff when it is appropriate for the purposes of training and/or morale.
- Establish and supervise summer cleaning programs and schedules.
- Inspect and maintain fire alarm systems and see that fire extinguishers are scheduled for regular maintenance inspections.
- Counsel, prepare, and administer the maintenance budget.
- Develop the Building Safety Review form with the Superintendent, building administrators, custodians, and others as necessary to be used by the building administrator and head custodian
- Act upon the Building Safety Reviews and provide a written response to the building administrator and head custodian in a timely fashion.
- Accompany the ROE designee during the Annual Life Safety Building Review. Following the Annual Life Safety Review (s)he shall meet in a timely fashion with the Superintendent. The purpose of the meeting(s) is to develop a plan for addressing items identified as being in non-compliance. The plan shall be developed and delivered to the ROE no later than forty-five (45) days from receipt of the report.
- Conduct the contract custodial and head custodian evaluations with input from building principals and central office administration.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Business Manager, Superintendent and/or the Board of Education.
- Must be able to talk or hear.
- Must be able to access all areas of the district grounds.
- Must have adequate visual acuity to allow for thorough inspection of work areas including some poorly lighted and cramped spaces, i.e. restrooms, offices, etc. required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to read and decipher labels on chemicals.
- Ability to follow safety guidelines and operate both safely and efficiently.
- Concentrated, exacting mental and visual effort to plan and perform complex work.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function.
- Frequent mental alertness and attention to detail, effectively organizing and prioritizing, meeting crucial deadlines and following up on assignments/tasks.
- Must possess effective written/oral communication and interpersonal skills with ability to deal with all levels of personnel and the general public in a professional and effective manner. Must be able to use initiative and independent judgment within established guidelines.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Remains calm, uses good judgment, and thinks quickly and rationally in difficult and stressful situations.
- Must concentrate on multiple takes simultaneously.
- Ability to make decisions on behalf of the students, staff, and community.
- Diffuses stressful situations with others. Makes considerable contribution towards establishing positive relationships in all interactions.
- Positively develops cooperation of others. Consistently exceeds expectations in response to requests.
- Encourages teamwork and places the success of the team about the individual gain.
- Exercises discretion in determining when work should be undertaken by independent contractors and recommend the hiring of particular contractors.
- Effectively communicate with contractors and architects and project managers.
- Ability to communicate (verbal and written); ability to direct students, and effectively communicate with co-workers, students, and parents/community members.
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress.
- Positions are subject to constant interruption and severe time constraints and are in direct contact with students, parents and employees. Negative interactions resulting from these contacts can result in stressful situations.