Elementary School Library/Media Teacher
LIBRARY TEACHER ELEMENTARY
The purpose of this position is to have an individual who maintains, locates and utilizes resources for students and staff. This person works collaboratively with teachers to
reinforces instructional initiatives. He/she must be an instructional partner, an information specialist and a direct instructor of students.
Qualifications: Qualified applicants must forward cover letter, resume, transcripts, proof of MA DESE license and SEI Endorsement as well as three current letters of recommendation
Education, Training and Experience:
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Licensure from the Massachusetts Department of Education for the grade(s) and subject(s) assigned.
- Demonstrated subject matter competence, highly qualified, in the area of licensure.
- Currency in the curriculum including knowledge of the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks.
- Effective planning and assessment of curriculum and instruction.
- Effective classroom management.
- Effective instruction in a standards-based classroom.
- Promotion of high standards and expectations for student proficiency.
- Promotion of equity and appreciation of diversity.
- Effective integration of technology across the curriculum.
- Fulfillment of professional responsibilities.
- Ability to deliver effective instruction.
- Ability to differentiate instruction to meet student needs.
- Ability to administer required student testing and assessments.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with students, parents, colleagues and administrators.
- Effective classroom management skills.
- Excellent listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Skills in the specific subject matter of instruction.
Supervises students and evaluates their achievement.
Supervision Given and Received:
Supervised by principal and/or director.
Description of Duties:
(The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be
performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar,
related or a logical assignment to the position.)
1. Management of the Learning Environment
- Utilizes effective and varied instructional techniques and procedures.
- Provides a standards-based, student centered environment in each class taught.
- Utilizes educational materials properly.
- Maintains a pleasant, neat and well-organized classroom.
- Performs scheduled duties promptly.
- Fulfills paperwork responsibilities promptly.
- Maintains professional competence through in-service educational activities.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of the content area.
- Understands and implements the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks.
- Assumes responsibility for providing a safe, supportive learning environment for every student.
- Relates well to students of varied proficiency.
- Provides and promotes opportunities for students to develop a wholesome self-concept.
- Guides students toward self-control.
- Provides effective student structure in the total school setting.
- Accepts responsibility for the well-being of each assigned student.
- Remains approachable to students and parents, as needed.
- Contributes to a positive and effective working relationship between school and home.
- Adheres to the academic, ethical and social standards of the profession.
- Speaks and writes clearly, understandably and appropriately.
- Dresses appropriately and is well-groomed.
- Accepts constructive criticism.
- Applies suggestions for improvement.
- Uses confidential information for professional purposes only.
- Is equitable and sensitive and responsive to all learners.
- Realizes that good attendance is necessary for effective learning.
- Participates in ongoing professional development, including all district sponsored initiatives.
- Aligns instruction to the Massachusetts frameworks and to departmental syllabi.
- Shows evidence of helping to promote positive working relationships will school personnel.
- Demonstrates willingness to share and exchange ideas, skills, techniques and materials.
- Works effectively with administrative personnel.
- Accepts and implements school and district decisions.
- Fulfills assigned duties and out-of-class responsibilities.
- Complies with school department procedures and school committee policies.
Salary: As per the WEA contract.
Non-Discrimination Notice: Waltham Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, gender identity or sexual orientation.
Waltham Public Shools has partnered with the Massachusetts Partnership for Diversity in Education (MPDE) in our effort to welcome diverse candidates to our school system. We value and prioritize the hiring of educators who bring a wealth of perspectives and experiences to our schools, and who reflect the diversity of the students we serve.
MPDE is a collaborative of public school districts with a 40-year uninterrupted history committed to supporting the interest of its members to increase the numbers of teachers of color for their schools by providing recruitment support and related services.