Summer Instructional Assistant - Special Educztion
Assignment: Extended School Year (Special Education ESY Summer Program)
June 15 to July 31
ELS and Transition rooms: 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Resource room: 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Rate of Pay: Based on employee’s current pay grade and step.
Supervisor: Instructional Assistant Manager; Department Chair
There are multiple vacancies for this position.
This work involves close interaction with staff and students, with the primary emphasis on assisting students in maintaining the skills learned during the school year. This includes the implementation of specialized educational programs. This employee works under the direction of licensed professional staff. He/she is expected to exercise independent judgment, discretion, confidentiality, to react appropriately in crisis situations, and exhibit initiative, creativity and organizational skills.
- Possession of Illinois State Board of Education Educator License with Stipulations - Paraprofessional or other ISBE license that requires a college degree.
- Knowledge of Special Education high school students’ needs and behavioral issues.
- Strong subject knowledge in core academic area or areas.
- Experience with special needs student population.
- Strong behavior management skills.
- Ability to use various types of software applications and assistive technology, including Zoom and Google Meet.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly and distinctly with staff and students.
- Previous ESY experience with New Trier High School preferred.
- Assists certified staff by:
- Meeting with students 1:1 and in groups via a laptop or iPad;
- Assisting in making instructional materials and visuals to be shared with families and used via Zoom;
- Creating pre-recorded lessons and modeling videos for use during class lessons;
- Assisting families to provide support for their student during remote learning;
- Communicating with families in a professional manner while demonstrating clear boundaries and confidentiality;
- Communicating clearly with staff concerning students’ progress;
- Working as a team member with department staff.
- Assists students under the direction of certified staff in the various programs in the department:
- Transition Program -- Working with special needs students with a variety of disabilities. Online working with students on physical fitness, budgeting, menu planning, cooking, social skills, and independent living skills. Working closely with families via Zoom to provide lessons and support during remote learning while also serving as a liaison between the families and the lead teachers in the classroom.d what
- Educational Life Skills (ELS) -- Working with special needs students with a variety of physical, cognitive and social disabilities via Zoom focusing on multiple levels of academics, life skills, social skills, and behavior management.
- Resource Room -- Working closely with teachers to maintain specific goal-based academic skills in the areas of reading, writing and math. Strong subject area experience preferred.
- Continues job performance enhancement by participating in professional growth activities.
- Projects a positive image of the district to students, staff and others, and exhibits a positive employee attitude.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.