Bilingual Liaison (2020-2021 SY)
POSITION PURPOSE: Under general supervision, translates documents and other material from one language to another; and/or translates spoken passages from one language to another during seminars, teleconferences, and/or meetings. Expresses either approximate or exact translation, depending upon the nature of the occasion. May specialize in a specific subject area.
Reads and rewrites technical documents in specified language, following established rules pertaining to factors such as word meaning, sentence structure, grammar, punctuation, and mechanics. Translates school document information such as free/reduced lunch information, immunization information and all pertinent information regarding school registration forms, including evaluation of student’s previous school records.
Serves as interpreter at seminars, speeches, meetings, teleconferences, and provides consecutive or simultaneous translation between languages.
Listens to complete statements in one language, translates to second, and translates responses from second into first language; expresses either approximate or exact translation, depending on nature of occasion.
In simultaneous interpreting, renders oral translation of material and time it is being spoken. Supports ESOL and classroom teachers by assisting with parent conferences, IEP meetings, home visits, and by obtaining parent signatures on appropriate forms.
Provides clerical support for the ESOL program, develops and maintains database for all LEP students.
Maintains ESOL student files and sends necessary materials to schools as students transfer.
Registers all new minority students and participates in establishing specialized contacts, and provides parent/student orientation on school practices, regulations, requirements and community resources.
Receives briefing or prepares through reading and study on subject to be discussed prior to interpreting session.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties when assigned.
- Experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and in foresight language(s).
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Strong verbal, written communication, interpersonal, and listening skills are essential.
Unless reasonable accommodations can be made, while performing this job the staff member shall:
Use strength to lift items needed to perform the functions of the job.
Sit, stand and walk for required periods of time.
Speak and hear.
Use close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception along with the ability to focus vision.
Communicate effectively in English, using proper grammar and vocabulary. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
Reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers to handle objects and operate tools, technology equipment, computers, and/or controls.
- Work effectively with and respond to diverse cultures or backgrounds.
- Demonstrate professionalism and appropriate judgment in behavior, speech, and dress in a neat, clean and professional manner for the assignment and work setting.
- Have regular and punctual attendance.
- Follow all District policies, work procedures, and reasonable requests by the proper authorities.
REPORTS TO: Principal
DAYS PER YEAR: 190
SALARY CLASSIFICATION: Paid on the Classified Salary Schedule Level 108
EMPLOYEE GROUP: Classified
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Must apply online by completing a "Classified" application and adding this specific job to your online application.
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
EMPLOYEE'S ACKNOWLEDGEMENT STATEMENT:
1. I have reviewed the above position description and understand its contents.
2. I am aware that my position description may be revised or updated at any time and once notified of changes, I remain responsible for knowledge of its contents.
3. I hereby certify that I possess the physical and mental ability to fulfill the essential functions of the above position with or without reasonable accommodation(s). If I require accommodation(s) in order to fulfill any or all of these functions, I agree to provide information to the District regarding the requested accommodation(s).
Employee's Name (Print): ___________________________________
Employee's Signature: ___________________________________