Literacy Teacher (2020-2021 SY)
POSITION PURPOSE: Responsible for supporting the school-wide literacy program and for providing reading instruction to students in small and large group settings. . The Literacy teacher uses research and best practices in the teaching of reading, writing, listening, and speaking across the content areas and works directly with students to improve their literacy levels. The Literacy Teacher works with colleagues to identify students who are in need of instructional support in the area of reading.
Uses research-based information to instruct students in reading .
Provides RTI services in reading interventions.
Attends the ongoing professional development provided by the school and district.
Collaborates with the Literacy Coach regarding the school-wide literacy plan.
Attends weekly/monthly meetings in current literacy research and practices.
Uses student assessment data to guide instruction.
Plans student interventions with teachers and the Literacy Coach.
Provides intervention and support directly to students reading below grade level.
Uses best and effective literacy practices in daily instruction of students.
Assists with conducting parent and community meetings in support of literacy.
- Must have a valid South Carolina teaching or be able to obtain one within 60 days from being hired.
- Must be Highly Qualified in the content area or be able to become Highly Qualified within 60 days from being hired.
- Must have completed a program of study in education from an accredited college or university.
- Experience as a reading/ELA teacher or elementary grade level teacher.
Unless reasonable accommodations can be made, while performing this job the staff member shall:
Use strength to lift items needed to perform the functions of the job.
Sit, stand and walk for required periods of time.
Speak and hear.
Use close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception along with the ability to focus vision.
Communicate effectively in English, using proper grammar and vocabulary. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
Reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers to handle objects and operate tools, technology equipment, computers, and/or controls.
- Work effectively with and respond to diverse cultures or backgrounds.
- Demonstrate professionalism and appropriate judgment in behavior, speech, and dress in a neat, clean and professional manner for the assignment and work setting.
- Have regular and punctual attendance.
- Follow all District policies, work procedures, and reasonable requests by the proper authorities.
REPORTS TO: Principal
DAYS PER YEAR: 190
SALARY CLASSIFICATION: Paid on the Certified Personnel Salary Schedule
EMPLOYEE GROUP: Certified
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Must apply online by completing an "Certified" application and adding this specific job to your online application.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EMPLOYEE'S ACKNOWLEDGEMENT STATEMENT:
1. I have reviewed the above position description and understand its contents.
2. I am aware that my position description may be revised or updated at any time and once notified of changes, I remain responsible for knowledge of its contents.
3. I hereby certify that I possess the physical and mental ability to fulfill the essential functions of the above position with or without reasonable accommodation(s). If I require accommodation(s) in order to fulfill any or all of these functions, I agree to provide information to the District regarding the requested accommodation(s).
Employee's Name (Print): ___________________________________
Employee's Signature: ___________________________________