Assistant Director of Special Education
South Central Kansas Special Education Cooperative
Special Education Assistant Director
TITLE: Special Education Assistant Director
SUPERVISES: Supervisor and consultant for SCKSEC Special Services Cooperative member district teachers and paraprofessionals.
FUNCTION: Assists the Director of Special Education in all matters related to programs- personnel- administration and public relations.
· Develops- implements and monitors Special Services Cooperative procedures and programs consistent and compatible with the Cooperative- Districts- and other laws and regulations.
· Coordinates and participates in IEP staffing’s and annual reviews and facilitates the compilation of documents for student records.
· Provide professional leadership in organizing- administering- supervising- and evaluating the effective delivery of special education services.
· Ensure that all special education programs and activities conform to federal- state- and district guidelines.
· Performs personnel functions (recruitment- hiring- evaluations-etc…) for the purpose of maintaining adequate staffing- enhancing productivity of personnel and ensuring that objectives of Special Education programs are achieved.
· Assists with the development of the handbook and assists in revising annually.
· Coordinates program needs.
· Performs other duties and assumes other such responsibilities as may be assigned by the Director of Special Education
· Supervises Service Providers and other school service personnel.
· Participates in placement of students.
· Advises parents- regular and special education teachers in proper programming of students.
· Assists in developing continuity of comprehensive programs and services.
· Orients staff to the policies- procedures- and philosophy of the cooperative and school districts.
· Provides education with IEP writing- annual reviews- and classroom assignments and student schedules.
· Provides paraprofessional development opportunities.
· Assists in the planning and coordination of in-service training programs for administrators- parents- general education teachers- special education teachers- etc. in understanding special education students.
· Provides on-going communication with district and Cooperative personnel as well as parents.
· Interprets and disseminates information regarding state/federal rule and regulations.
· Informs the Director of student progress- and teacher personnel effectiveness- and program development.
· Must hold a Building Level or District Level Leadership License during the term of contract.
· Understanding of basic assessment strategies for students with exceptional needs
· Understanding of laws- regulations and education code pertaining to special education
· Understanding of principles- practices and trends in the field of education
· Knowledge of philosophical- educational- fiscal- and legal aspects affecting a school district operation
· Experience with organization- management- planning- and evaluation strategies- techniques- and procedures.
· Understanding of curriculum and instruction design and delivery systems for students receiving special education services
· Experience with human relationships- conflict resolution strategies- and procedures- and team management building methods and techniques
· Understanding of the continuum of special education services and placement options.