2020-2021 Security Specialist 50011984
Reports To: Security Director
FSLA Status: Non-Exempt
Compensation: 106 (Salary determined by experience)
Work Days: 178
FTE: 8 hours per day
Position is responsible for providing operational support and technical guidance to school security and administrative staff; training in safety and security related skills and knowledge to security staff, school administrative, teaching and other support staff.
- Operates facility security equipment to include alarm panels, security cameras, and scanners.
- Provides prevention and detection of criminal activity and safety hazards; enforce parking, and other district regulations; provide overall assistance to the facility staff, students, and campus community.
- Observes and responds to any security violations falling under your purview. Properly reports violations as they occur. Remains objective during all interactions.
- Conducts regular checks as directed of designated sites during tour of duty for unauthorized personnel.
- Ensures site and adjoining property is properly secured throughout shift.
- Writes factual, clear and concise reports of incidents occurring at designated sites.
- Works with Site Administrators to ensure all security needs are fulfilled or properly reported to repair security concerns.
- Trains site personnel on the proper procedures for operating the alarm system.
- Assists in restraining and apprehending violators when necessary.
- Ensures all unauthorized personnel are escorted or removed from the site in an ethical, lawful manner.
- Adheres to District policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties assigned.
Job Specifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required):
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Previous experience in law enforcement or security position, preferred.
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress
- Ability to operate and maintain facility security equipment
- Ability to write clear and concise reports
- Ability to deal sensitively and fairly with people from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Ability to interact effectively with students, staff, parents, and community members
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information
- Adherence to district and department uniform and grooming standards
- Ability to work evenings, nights, weekends and holidays
- Demonstrated strong organizational, communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
The working conditions and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Able to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time,
- Exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer,
- Ability to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids,
- Hear and understand speech at normal classroom levels, outdoors and on the telephone,
- Speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in normal classrooms, outdoors and on the telephone,
- Physical agility, able to bend, stoop, sit on the floor, climb stairs, walk and reach
- Ability to lift, push, pull up to 50 pounds