2020-2021 Elementary Education Teacher 50011787
Reports To: Building Administrator
FSLA Status: Exempt
Compensation: 001 (Step determined by experience.)
Work Days: 181
Elementary Education Teacher
Create a flexible program and a class environment favorable to learning and personal growth; establishing effective rapport with pupils; motivating pupils to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for education, in accordance with each pupil’s ability; and establishing good relationships with parents and with other staff members.
- Teaches any combination of reading, language arts, social studies, mathematics, science, art, health, physical education, and music to pupils in a classroom, using the course of study adopted by the Oklahoma State Department of Education and Oklahoma City’s Board of Education and any other appropriate learning activities.
- Instructs pupils in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each pupil with the identified objectives.
- Translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Utilizes grading patterns that are fairly administered and based on identified criteria.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom. Treat pupils with respect and dignity.
- Evaluates pupils’ academic and social growth, keeps appropriate records, and prepares progress reports.
- Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss pupil’s progress and interpret the school program.
- Interacts with pupils, staff and parents in a positive and professional manner.
- Identifies pupil needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Establishes rapport with pupils and provides a pleasant, safe, and orderly climate conducive to learning.
- Actively participates in full implementation of the OKCPS model for School Improvement.
- Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the district and selfselected professional growth activities.
- Supervise and monitor students during out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day which may include but not limited to (cafeteria duty, field trips, playground duty, hallway monitor, etc.)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- To ensure continuity of services, remote work may be necessary in the event of a health crisis or disruptive situation that requires the closing of school and/or office buildings. An employee’s eligibility for remote work will be determined by the superintendent of schools. Expectations and guidelines for remote work will be distributed by the employee’s supervisor, based on his/her role and responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required):
- Bachelor’s in education or a related field
- Oklahoma Teaching Certification in Elementary Education in appropriate subject or subjects or Alternative Teaching Certification as approved by Oklahoma State Department of Education.
- Must possess ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, parents, and the community.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others, demonstrate self-discipline and initiative, follow state and district guidelines.
- Must have adequate manual dexterity to write legibly and perform required duties on the computer.
- Must have adequate visual acuity to read, interpret and transcribe written material and other required duties.
- Requires normal range of hearing and clear speaking abilities to interact appropriately with others in person and on the telephone.
- Requires some stooping, bending, stretching and occasional lifting not to exceed 50 pounds.
- Sitting for prolonged periods of time.
- May periodically require work outside of normal business hours, including weekends, under sometimes stressful conditions in order to meet business needs and strict deadlines.
- Office duties will be performed in a well-lighted, climate-controlled environment.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive. The employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the supervisor or appropriate administrator. Oklahoma City Public Schools reserves the right to, update, revise or change job duties as the need prevails. This document is for communication only and not intended to imply a written or implied contract of employment. The Board of Education and Superintendent may approve alternatives to the listed qualifications.