Special Education Aide/Functional Academics
Assist special education teacher(s) in providing for physical and instructional needs of students with disabilities in special education setting; assist in implementation of classroom programs, including self-help, behavior management, and instruction programs; work under general supervision of principal, immediate direction of certified teacher and collaboration with special education and general education staff.
High school diploma or GED
Valid Texas Educational Aide certificate OR two years of college
Acceptable background check and fingerprinting results
Ability to work with children with severe and/or cognitive physical and/or emotional
disabilities that require an alternate learning environment
Ability to communicate effectively with students, parents and district personnel
Ability to work as a team member for the position/department assigned
Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
Ability to lift 50 lbs.
Knowledge of general office equipment
Willing to be trained in Crisis Prevention and Intervention Strategies
Work related experience with students
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Instruction Planning and Delivery
- Assist with individual or small group instructional activities outlined by the teacher or teaching team and work with students to develop academic skills.
- Assist with supervision and monitoring of students, instruction or activities inside the classroom environment, including support with physical needs and personal care.
- Assist with the preparation of instructional materials, paperwork and record keeping.
Monitor Student Progress
- Assist teachers in implementing program objectives that support developmental, behavioral and academic student performance.
- Serve as a positive role model for children and support the mission of the district.
- Assist with maintaining student records and provide feedback as requested by teacher.
Classroom Management and Organization
- Assist in managing student behavior, including crisis intervention, physical management of disruptive students and inappropriate behaviors as needed.
- Assist with maintaining a safe, neat and orderly classroom.
- Assist with the supervision and monitoring of students throughout the school day outside of the classroom, including cafeteria, playground, physical education classes, boarding and exiting district transportation vehicles to community-based activities and other assigned areas.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrate interest and initiative in professional improvement by participating in district and campus staff development training programs that improve job related skills, attend faculty meetings and special events as assigned.
- Keep informed of and comply with district policies, as well as state and federal laws and regulations.
- Follow established work schedule that includes instructional assignments and student support services; daily attendance and punctuality are essential to job performance.
Wheelchair lift, ramp, personal computer, copier, and audiovisual equipment.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress; frequent standing, occasional walking, stooping, kneeling, pushing, puling and bending; lifting of heavy students; biological exposure to bacteria and communicable diseases; Possible restraint and intervention in crisis situations; frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing and pulling.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.