JobID 1106 : Special Education Paraeducator (Remainder of school year) Berry School Circle of Friends (#2037465)
~~Special Education Paraeducator Systemwide, with building assignment at Berry School (Circle of Friends Preschool 3-4 year olds). Remainder of 2019-2020 School Year only.
Any of these responsibilities may be performed by other paraeducators who may be assigned to assist students with special needs.
1. Follows through on one-on-one or group instruction developed by the certified staff.
2. Assists with the modification of classroom instruction for students.
3. Follows through on students’ behavioral plans, providing reinforcement and support as required.
4. Collects and maintains data as directed.
5. Assists students with personal care including toileting or diapering, self-care routines, and feeding.
6. Assists students with mobility, positioning, seating, and traveling through the school building.
7. Assists students with communication and the use of augmentative communication systems.
8. Assists students with the use of various forms of assistive technology.
~~QUALIFICATIONS: A. Prefer at least two years of college or pass the Praxis Parapro Exam
B. Demonstrated competence in basic skills of reading, oral and written language, and math.
C. Effective interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with students and adults.
D. Proficiency in the use of a computer and the ability to work with office machines and other technology (for work in the Library Media Center.)
E. Ability to meet the physical requirements of the role.
F. Prior experience working with children is preferred.
REPORTS TO: Building Principal or designee
JOB GOAL: To assist the certified staff achieve the goals and objectives of the instructional
program for students.
All paraeducators have both generic and specific job functions. The responsibilities of the paraeducator at any one time can vary according to the current assignment. The assignment may be at one or more than one school. The paraeducator may work with students in regular or special education classrooms, the media center, the playground, the lunchroom, school or community based training sites, on field trips, or wherever students participate in instructional or other school activities. At all times, paraeducators are expected to utilize good judgment and discretion and to demonstrate professionalism in the performance of their job responsibilities.
Generic Role and Responsibilities
The following essential job functions generally apply to the paraeducators regardless of the specific assignment.
Responsibilities related to support of the instructional program:
1. Works with individual students or groups of students in a variety of settings.
2. Carries out instructional activities as designed by a certified staff member.
3. Maintains and records data on student progress and achievement as assigned.
4. Assists students in following class and school rules and routines.
5. Monitors individual or group testing.
Responsibilities related to teacher assistance:
1. Assists the teacher in the development of strategies and modifications for the classroom.
2. Assists with classroom routines and functions such as attendance, scheduling, money or supply collections, setup, cleanup, and meals or snacks.
3. Supervises testing and makeup work as assigned by the teacher.
4. Scores tests and corrects papers based on answer keys.
5. Assists with the setup and use of instructional media, equipment, materials and supplies.
6. Prepares materials and supplies to support the program.
Other general responsibilities:
1. Informs the teacher of observations made concerning students.
2. Helps assure students’ personal safety and well-being.
3. Serves as a source of information and assistance for substitute staff assigned in the absence of the regular teacher.
4. Communicates in verbal and written form with certified staff and support personnel as needed.
5. Assists in the general supervision of students and follows through on specific duties assigned to building staff members by the principal.
6. Maintains strict confidentiality of student information at all times.
7. Attends and participates in assigned staff development programs.
Incidental Generic Job Functions
1. Performs other tasks and responsibilities as assigned by administration.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
In addition to the generic job duties described above, there are essential job duties specific to assignments as listed below.