JobID 187 : Math Teacher (#2036440)
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to develop students' skills and competence in basic and complex mathematical principles, equations, formulas and calculations, as well as an understanding of the application of mathematics in the solution of practical problems. This position will be responsible for teaching Pre-Algebra, Algebra I and Standards Mathematics.
This position reports to the Principal.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and administers mathematics curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials for subject area, and translates lesson plans into learning experiences to develop pertinent sequential assignments, challenge students, and best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Teaches knowledge and skills in mathematics, including concepts such as real an imaginary numbers, formulas, calculations and geometry, and promotes creative thinking and analysis in all related subject areas.
- Designs learning activities to demonstrate the application of mathematics to everyday existence and problem-solving.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Maintains familiarity with district and Wyoming State standardized tests for the purpose of adapting curriculum to maximize student achievement on such tests.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms to the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within grade level, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Three (3) to five (5) years of classroom teaching experience preferred.
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Highly Qualified Status and Mathematics Certification through Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board required.
- Coaching preferred but not mandatory.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of a wide range of mathematic subject areas, including arithmetic equations, Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, and other related areas.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
This job requires the ability to handle and balance multiple demands at the same time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those and employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in this environment can be from moderate to quite loud depending upon the activity at the various schools and the particular part of the day.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.