JobID 628 : School Nurse (#2032798)
Posted 2 months ago
|Position Title:||School Nurse|
|Summary:||To protect and promote the health and well-being of students and staff members of the charter school by assuming a leadership role in the development and implementation of a school wide health program.|
- Required to complete a criminal history background check to prove that the individual has not been convicted of a crime or a disorderly person’s offense in accordance with N.J.S.A 18A:6-7.1.
- Provide evidence that health is adequate to fulfill the job functions and responsibilities with reasonable accommodation pursuant to 42 U.S.C. 12101 and in accordance with N.J.A.C. 6A:32-6.2.
- Furnish documentation that the state required Mantoux Intradermal Tuberculin Test, as required by N.J.A.C. 6A:32-6.3 has been completed.
- Meet such alternatives to the above qualifications as the school director find appropriate and acceptable.
Environmental Conditions: The physical demands and work environment factors described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires prolonged sitting.
- Occasionally requires physical exertion to manually move, lift, carry, pull, or push objects or materials.
- Requires the ability to work in noisy and crowded environment.
- Occasional exposure to a variety of weather conditions.
- May require standing, stooping, bending, or reaching.
- Requires some traveling.
- Occasionally requires work outdoors dealing with school activities.
Performance Responsibilities: The school nurse shall :
- Pursue the vision and execute the mission of the iLearn Charter Schools.
- Serve as a contributing member of the charter school faculty.
- Possess and understanding of the charter school renewal process and assist with the process as needed.
- Help foster and maintain an effective and caring learning climate in the school.
- Assist in the management of the school in accordance with New Jersey administrative code, school law, charter school policies and school procedures.
- Support and promote board and administrative initiatives and decisions.
- Work in cooperation with the school physician and any other school health professionals along with members of the staff, parents and community health professionals to ensure a healthy school climate and to minimize absence due to illness.
- Conduct health services and screening programs as required by law and/or charter school policy.
- Schedule and supervise health surveys of students and staff.
- Provide emergency care in case of sudden illness and administer first-aid in case of injury to students or staff according to established policies and procedures. Be responsible for the availability and maintenance of required medical supplies and equipment.
- Maintain up-to-date health records on all students; maintain separate records of immunizations for the purpose of an immunization record audit and ensure the confidentiality of these records.
- Help prevent and control communicable disease through classroom discussions, inspections, exclusion and re-admissions of students and staff in keeping with state and local health regulations and charter school policies.
- Take immediate action and notify appropriate personnel concerning any evidence of substance abuse, child abuse, child neglect, severe medical or social conditions, potential suicide or individuals appearing to be under the influence of alcohol, controlled substances, or anabolic steroids.
- Confer with and advise students, parents, and staff members on matters pertaining to the health and safety of students.
- Maintain proper phone etiquette and practice discretion when communicating with parents or the community.
- Issue electronic/paper communication that are written with appropriate language, phrases and punctuation. Use of slang or text language is not acceptable.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the charter school’s emergency and crisis management plan.
- Serve as resource to the instructional staff in developing curriculum, modifying instruction and selecting the materials used to meet the State Core Curriculum Content Standards for a comprehensive health education program.
- Plan and implement school health management protocols for the child(ren) with chronic health problems.
- Recommend policies and procedures that promote a healthy school environment and a clean, safe facility. Identify and communicate to the school director any unsafe practices or conditions.
- Maintain a safe and clean health office including the care and maintenance of all health office equipment needed to carry out health care functions and responsibilities.
- Display the highest ethical and professional behavior and standards when working with students, parents, school personnel, and other agencies associated with the school.
- Protect confidentiality of records and information gained as part of exercising professional duties and use discretion in sharing such information within legal confines.
- Serve as a role model for students, demonstrating the importance and relevance of practicing good health habits.
- Provide special health care and related services to meet the needs of students with disabilities.
- Administer prescribed medication to students in accordance with law and charter school policy. Provides training and supervision of the emergency administration of epinephrine, glucagon and/or naloxone for designated school staff.
- Work with community health agencies and resources to provide a comprehensive and coordinated health service program for the school and its students.
- Assist with the preparation of the school’s health budget.
- Maintain professional competence through in-service education and participation in other professional development activities. Receives training in the treatment of asthma and maintains a valid current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation certificate as required by law and administrative code.
- Assist in the development of policies and procedures for comprehensive health education and services.
- Develop and maintain the annual School Nursing Services Plan as required by the New Jersey Department of Education. The annual School Nursing Services Plan will include a description of basic nursing services provided, a summary of specific medical needs of individual students and how they will be addressed, a description of emergency nursing services, and detailed nursing assignments.
- Possess knowledge of the charter school technology plan and the infusion of technology strategies and equipment within health related instructional lessons and nurse organizational tasks.
- Follow school affirmative action procedures.
- Possess an understanding of the school emergency response plan.
- Keep the staff informed and seek ideas for the overall health and wellness of the charter school.
- Communicate with the school director about the needs, successes and general operations of the charter school.
- Attend regular staff meetings and serve, as appropriate, on staff committees.
- Manage various school functions and events as assigned.
- Attend special events and other school sponsored activities and functions.
- Demonstrate a supportive role in the school fundraising projects.
- May represent the charter school at community, county, state and professional meetings.
- Prepare and maintain reports as required by NJDOE and/or iLearn Schools.
- Perform any other duties within the scope of his/her employment and certification that may be assigned.
Supervise: School Director and/or Nurse Coordinator
- When assigned, will supervise nursing students.
- When assigned, provide supervision and/or assistance to new employees that were hired for the school nursing department.
|Terms of Employment:||Ten month employee|
|Evaluation:||Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with New Jersey state law (Title 18A) and the provisions of iLearn Schools policy on evaluation of certified personnel.
|License or Certificate:||