JobID 5548 : Administrative Assistant (#2032363)
Bargaining Unit: TOTEM
Work Year: 12 months
Work Day: 8 hours per day
FTE: Full time, 1.0 FTE
Salary: T-13, $16.20 - $17.33 Per Hour, DOE
The Administrative Assistant maintains records and schedules, performs clerical functions, and handles approved communication for a department. The position has a retirement association with the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS).
The following are required:
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Three years of clerical experience. Equivalent education may be considered in lieu of related work experience.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and inspire confidence and cooperation of staff, parents, students, administrators, and the public.
- Ability to establish and maintain a professional relationship with staff, parents, students, administrators, and the public.
The following are preferred:
- Knowledge of office practices, procedures, office machines, and filing systems.
- Ability to operate common office equipment and proficient in computer use, both Macintosh and Windows, with experience in a variety of programs and applications including word processing, databases, and spreadsheets.
- Ability to type accurately at an acceptable rate of speed.
- Knowledge of ASD computer systems such as Zangle, IFAS, EmpCenter, or Aesop Absence Management.
- Ability to perform clerical work with independent judgment, speed, and accuracy, including financial and statistical reports.
- Ability to plan, lay out, and conduct clerical operations involving transactions requiring effective accountability and accurate controls.
- Ability to learn, interpret, and communicate rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to plan and implement clerical transaction accountability and controls.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintains cost records, employee scheduling, and other statistical records.
- Assumes responsibility for a specific clerical function or specialized unit of a department where knowledge of the departmental operation is fundamental and where its impact on the public is substantial.
- Performs technical work requiring a thorough knowledge of departmental policies and procedures.
- Initiates approved written communication.
- Handles intricate public relations.
- Instructs, assigns, and schedules tasks to other clerks and reviews the work for accuracy and completeness.
- Assists with the processing, recording, and filing of a variety of documents involving administrative procedures.
The physical demands of this job require frequent standing, walking, sitting, speaking, and hearing. Specific visual abilities are also required. The employee is regularly required to reach with his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to communicate by oral and written means in an appropriate business manner and have cognitive skills to understand instructions, readily recall facts and details, handle conflict, and make effective decisions under pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively manage the stress of working with students, parents, and other employees representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all individuals with qualified physical or mental disabilities.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety of individuals having differing functions, personalities and abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Anchorage School District employees must possess the ability to read and write in English. This includes the ability to communicate in English with school staff, coworkers, and the public. Employees must also have the ability to comprehend and carry out oral and written directions and understand and follow English instructions and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal background check.
This position may be required to work in ASD facilities on the military installations (JBER). Please visit www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief for additional information.
The Anchorage School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.