JobID 3693 : 2020-2021 SY: Teacher - Music (Guitar) (#2028576)
Job | Posted a month ago
Teacher, Music (Guitar)
NM PreK-12 Specialty Area with Performing Arts Endorsement
All positions with Santa Fe Public Schools require a post offer/pre-employment background check. Some positions have additional requirements as established by Federal or State Rules and Regulations.
Plan and implement approved SFPS curriculum for students of all abilities, thereby promoting musical growth, and providing appropriate musical activities. Provide instruction in guitar pedagogy as well as musical concepts, music theory, music history and performance etiquette.
(Basic minimum requirements are subject to change from time to time to meet the needs of the District.)
Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in music education, or equivalent, with emphasis in orchestral music.
Preferred: Completion of Student teaching or Internship program. At least one year’s previous teaching experience.
Knowledge/Skills and Abilities:
Demonstrated general knowledge of curriculum and instruction. Demonstrated knowledge of various routine tasks, duties and procedures and the ability to follow specific instructions with little or no previous experience. Ability to exercise considerable and sound judgment to instruct students and manage their behavior. Willingness to improve competency by periodically participating in some form of professional growth and to remain current with the latest developments in the profession. Ability to deal with various ethnic groups. Strong organization, communication, and interpersonal skills. Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students, peers and parents. Must have skill in oral and written communication. Needs the ability to perform duties with awareness of all District requirements and Board of Education policies. Knowledge of Guitar pedagogy, and appropriate literature. Knowledge of effective rehearsal techniques and classroom management. Knowledge of administrative duties associated with guitar program. Ability to differentiate instruction.
Essential Job Functions
All functions are performed in accordance with established policies, procedures, safety and environmental regulations, facility and computer security policies and procedures. Functions are subject to change from time to time to meet the needs of the organization. Current essential functions include the following:
- Participates in the appropriate state, regional, and district sponsored festivals and competitive/performance events.
- Site based and public performances are an assumed responsibility.
- Promotes an environment/climate conducive to productive performance in music education.
- Communicates effectively with school principal as well as music coordinator.
- Attends monthly music district meetings, set by the music coordinator.
- Meets and instructs the student(s) in assigned locations and at the designated times.
- Instructs and plans for the guitar program at the site(s) assigned during the nine-month contract.
- Ensures the adequate supervision of students.
- Establishes and maintains rapport with students.
- Motivates students to achieve maximum potential.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Works collaboratively with staff, families, and community resources to support the success of a diverse student population.
- Complies with and supports schools regulations and policies.
- Models non-discriminatory practices in all activities.
- Recruits and retains students for participation in the guitar program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Based on education, experience, and level of NM Teaching License.
Tier 1 License: $41,000+
Tier 2 License: $50,000+
Tier 3 License: $60,000+
Resources Used in Performing Job Include (but are not limited to):
Musical instruments: acoustic and electric guitars, mandolin, banjo, ukulele etc. Stereo Equipment, amplifiers, music technology, and sheet music. Appropriately equipped music facility. Collaborations with colleagues, parents, community resources and professional organizations.
Lifting of heavy musical equipment, not limited to: Portable acoustic shell, Choir risers, Music Stands, Sound systems, Chair, etc. Duties performed typically in school settings to include; choir room, classrooms, gym, auditorium, and recreational areas, both at home and away events. Frequent walking, standing, lifting, up to approx. 40lbs, and occasional lifting of equipment such as choir equipment weighing up to approx. 50lbs may be required. Other limited physical activities are required. Occasional travel with students on field trips and various performances may be necessary. Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, noise and hazards. Occasional movement of students by wheelchairs and other mechanical devices may be required. Regular instruction to special needs students may be necessary. Regular contact with students to provide a positive learning environment is required. Contact with administrators, staff members, parents, and community members is required. Frequent contact with parents by phone and in person is necessary. Occasional contact with medical professionals may be required.
Duties performed typically in school settings to include: music room, classrooms, gym, auditorium. Teacher will be subject to indoor and outdoor environmental conditions, noise, and hazards.
- Demonstrates reliability as evidenced by attendance records and punctuality
- Properly notifies supervisor and/or designee of absences or tardiness
- Begins and completes work within the allotted time
- Consistently appears in attire appropriate to the work environment
- Demonstrates skill in the use of equipment including its capabilities, limitations and appropriate/special application
- Protects the District’s resources through appropriate and careful use of supplies and equipment
- Utilizes appropriate body mechanics to aid in the prevention of muscle strain/injury
Santa Fe Public Schools
610 ALTA VISTA ST., SANTA FE, NM 87501
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $11,258 (USD)
% ELL Students
State Average: 16%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 15.45
% IEP Students
State Average: 15%
State Average: 228