JobID 3685 : 2020-2021 SY: Principal - Elementary School (#2028543)
Job | Posted 18 days ago
Principal, Elementary School
Pre K-12 Administrative
All positions with Santa Fe Public Schools require a post offer/pre-employment background check. Some positions have additional requirements as established by Federal or State Rules and Regulations.
Serves as the educational leader and chief administrator of an elementary school, or a site of comparable size and complexity. Responsible for implementing and managing policies, regulations and procedures to ensure that students are provided a safe learning environment that conforms to academic standards of regulatory agencies and the Board of Education. The elementary school principal is responsible for organizing, coordinating, supervising, and evaluating the total program of the school in accordance with Board Policy and administrative regulations, consistent with statutes and standards of the New Mexico Public Education Department. Provides leadership for teachers to improve academic achievement.
(Basic minimum requirements are subject to change from time to time to meet the needs of the District.)
Minimum: Must hold or be able to obtain an Administrative License in the state of New Mexico. Specific requirements are referenced on Public Education Department website: www.ped.state.nm.us. Should have at least one year experience as an Assistant Principal. Some positions, such as schools in restructuring, require one year principalship experience. Classroom teaching experience of 3-5 years.
MS degree in educational leadership or equivalent educational major. Experience in curriculum development. Successful performance in the position held at the time of application. Knowledge of Common Core Standards. Working knowledge of budgets and the use of data to inform instruction. Public speaking skills.
Preferred: One to three (1-3) years of experience in school administration, or school principalship. Strong familiarity with Special Education inclusionary practices. Knowledge about master scheduling. Bilingual – English/ Spanish.
Knowledge/Skills and Abilities:
Ability to lead a school through using data and classroom observations. Demonstrated employee management skills and knowledge of school organizational requirements. Ability to relate to students with diverse backgrounds and needs. Excellent written and oral communication and conflict mediation skills. Ability to anticipate potential problems and resolve or correct those that occur. Ability to make decisions that have a long-term effects and/or legal and financial implications for school and district. Ability to multi-task, prioritize work activities, meet deadlines, and work with people at all levels; use of technology for data collection, analysis and reporting to promote academic achievement. Position requires meeting with various community-based organizations on a regular basis and attending Public Education Department meetings, as well as regular internal meetings. Must have a well-defined sense of community service.
Essential Job Functions
All functions are performed in accordance with established policies, procedures, safety and environmental regulations, facility and computer security policies and procedures. Functions are subject to change from time to time to meet the needs of the organization. Current essential functions include the following:
- Supervises educational and administrative staff. Promotes effective teacher practices by providing leadership to staff including evaluation, counseling, support corrective action, and professional development.
- Lead by being in classrooms and providing effective feedback to teachers to improve practice.
- Ensures that Common Core State Standards are implemented with fidelity.
- Interviews and makes recommendation to hire teachers and other staff.
- Develops and evaluates educational programs, curriculum and standards to meet educational goals of the school, board, district, and state.
- Assumes overall responsibility for the safety, security and appearance of the school facility. Requisitions and allocates supplies, equipment and instructional material as needed. Manages facilities to maintain a healthy, safe environment.
- Responsible for appropriate discipline of students.
- Establishes an effective system for communicating school matters to staff, students, parents and community.
- Implements procedures to foster and maintain community confidence in the school and extra-curricular programs and activities.
- Ensures accurate student records and daily reporting attendance procedures.
- Directs student academic guidance counseling programs to meet the needs of all students.
- Develops and coordinates the school’s master schedule annually.
- Ensures participation by the regular education staff in student IEP and 504 meetings.
- Establishes and oversees Advisory School Councils and ensures compliance of Council with State requirements.
- Responsible for appropriate and timely state and federal level reports as pertains to individual or district reporting.
- Responsible for using analysis of data to create and modify instruction and for decision-making.
- Manages school climate including ensuring discipline and student safety. Confers with teachers, students and parents concerning educational and behavioral problems in school. Monitors school safety and security.
- Keeps administrative records and directs the preparation or prepares reports, which includes preparing budget and monitoring expenditure of funds. Reporting includes preparation of memos and letters of correspondence, newsletters, class schedules, attendance reports, and grant reports.
- Serves as liaison between the school and parents, business partners, and community, interpreting activities and policies and encouraging participation in school life.
- Attends district, school and community events.
- Provides input to grant applications. Maintains grant programs and records.
- Oversees construction projects.
- Communicate and uphold district policies, develops consensus, mediates problems, coordinates schedules and activities with a variety of individuals, including staff members, district administrators and professionals, consultants, volunteers, parents, media reporters and other people in the community.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Based on experience.
Resources Used in Performing Job Include (but are not limited to):
Standard office equipment, including computers, copiers, fax, phone system, alarm system. Automobile to travel to other district buildings
Walking, standing. Alternate high energy with long periods of time sitting in meetings. Standing while supervising students. Running and physically restraining students (rare). Travel to community/district meetings and events. Lifting boxes of books, furniture or equipment as needed.
Position requires driving among school sites to attend meetings, some of which occur in the evening. Heavy telephone and interaction with students, parents, district staff and community. Frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrates reliability as evidenced by attendance records and punctuality
- Properly notifies supervisor and/or designee of absences or tardiness
- Begins and completes work within the allotted time
- Consistently appears in attire appropriate to the work environment
- Demonstrates skill in the use of equipment including its capabilities, limitations and appropriate/special application
- Protects the District’s resources through appropriate and careful use of supplies and equipment
- Utilizes appropriate body mechanics to aid in the prevention of muscle strain/injury
Santa Fe Public Schools
610 ALTA VISTA ST., SANTA FE, NM 87501
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $11,258 (USD)
% ELL Students
State Average: 16%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 15.45
% IEP Students
State Average: 15%
State Average: 228