JobID 3684 : 2020-2021 SY: Assistant Principal Middle School (#2028539)
Job | Posted a month ago
Assistant Principal – Middle School
Hours required to accomplish the job; minimum 40/week
Pre K-12 Administrative
All positions with Santa Fe Public Schools require a post offer/pre-employment background check. Some positions have additional requirements as established by Federal or State Rules and Regulations.
Serves as an educational leader. Responsible for assisting the Principal in implementing and managing policies, regulations and procedures to ensure that students are provided a safe learning environment that conforms to academic standards and policies of federal, state and local regulatory agencies. The Assistant Principal is responsible, in accordance with state standards, regulations, statutes and local school policies, for assisting the Principal in the organization, administration, supervision and academic achievement of students. The Assistant Principal oversees the athletic programs.
Minimum: Masters level degree in a related field, and a minimum of three - five (3-5) years of experience as a teacher. Knowledge of curriculum development. Successful performance in the position held at the time of application. Knowledge of Common Core Standards and Secondary reform options. Working knowledge of budgets and the use of data to inform instruction. Public speaking skills.
Preferred: Master’s level education with a concentration in education administration or secondary education. Central office, school administration internship or prior assistant principal experience. Bilingual English/Spanish. Knowledge about SPED inclusion. Prior student discipline experience.
Knowledge/Skills and Abilities:
Excellent written and oral communication and conflict mediation skills. Ability to anticipate potential problems and resolve or correct those that occur. Ability to make decisions which have a long-term effects and/or legal and financial implications for school and district. Demonstrable knowledge of organization facilitation, Word processing, e-mail, and standard office software packages. Knowledge of District data software beneficial. Ability to multi-task, prioritize work activities, meet deadlines, ability to work with people at all levels in the organization, students and community members. Use of technology for data collection, analysis and reporting to promote academic achievement. Position requires meeting with various community-based organizations, as well as regular internal meetings. Must have a well-defined sense of community service.
Essential Job Functions:
All functions are performed in accordance with established policies, procedures, safety and environmental regulations, facility and computer security policies and procedures. Functions are subject to change from time to time to meet the needs of the District. Current essential functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Supervises educational and administrative staff. Promotes effective teacher practices by providing leadership to staff including evaluation, counseling, support corrective action, and professional development.
- Lead by being in classrooms and providing effective feedback to teachers to improve practice.
- Assist in implementing secondary reform strategies and participate in the development of district strategies for these initiatives.
- Handles most of the student discipline.
- Oversees and coordinates the athletic programs.
- Assists with ensuring Common Core State Standards are implemented with fidelity.
- Interviews and makes recommendation to hire teachers and other staff.
- Develops and evaluates educational programs, curriculum and standards to meet educational goals of the school, board, district, and state.
- Assists with the responsibility for the safety, security and appearance of the school facility. Requisitions and allocates supplies, equipment and instructional material as needed. Manages facilities to maintain a healthy, safe environment.
- May attend Advisory School Councils and assist with compliance of Council with State requirements.
- Assists with appropriate and timely state and federal level reports as pertains to individual or district reporting.
- Responsible for using analysis or data to create and modify instruction and for decision-making.
- Confers with teachers, students and parents concerning educational and behavioral problems in school.
- Assists with keeping administrative records and either directs the preparation or prepares reports, which includes preparing budget and monitoring expenditure of funds. Reporting includes preparation of memos and letters of correspondence, newsletters, class schedules, attendance reports, and grant reports.
- May serve as liaison between the school and parents, business partners, and community, interpreting activities and policies and encouraging participation in school life.
- Attends school and community events.
- Provides input to grant applications.
- Communicate and uphold district policies, develops consensus, mediates problems, coordinates schedules and activities with a variety of individuals, including staff members, district administrators and professionals, consultants, volunteers, parents, media reporters and other people in the community.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
$69,000 to $82,600+
Resources Used in Performing Job Include (but are not limited to):
Standard office equipment, including computers, copiers, fax, phone system, alarm system. Automobile to travel to other district buildings
Walking, standing. Alternate high energy with long periods of time sitting in meetings. Standing while supervising students. Running and physically restraining students (rare). Travel to community/district meetings and events. Lifting boxes of books, furniture or equipment as needed.
Position requires driving among school sites to attend meetings, some of which occur in the evening. Heavy telephone and interaction with students, parents, district staff and community. Frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrates reliability as evidenced by attendance records and punctuality.
- Properly notifies supervisor and/or designee of absences or tardiness.
- Begins and completes work within the allotted time.
- Consistently appears in attire appropriate to the work environment.
- Demonstrates skill in the use of equipment including its capabilities, limitations and appropriate/ special application.
- Protects the District’s resources through appropriate and careful use of supplies and equipment.
- Utilizes appropriate body mechanics to aid in the prevention of muscle strain/injury.
Santa Fe Public Schools
610 ALTA VISTA ST., SANTA FE, NM 87501
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $11,258 (USD)
% ELL Students
State Average: 16%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 15.45
% IEP Students
State Average: 15%
State Average: 228