JobID 852 : Math Specialist (#2028314)
POSITION: Math Specialist
REPORTS TO: Building Principal
REQUIRED: Bachelor’s Degree
State of Illinois PEL
Minimum two years of teaching experience
The Math Specialist serves as a resource professional to promote student and teacher growth in mathematics and as a mathematics instructor for students in need of intervention or support. The Math Specialist works collaboratively with teachers to implement a quality mathematics program that is research-based and personalized for student needs. This position is responsible for providing interventions and support to students, along with providing coaching and support to teachers.
- Assists administrators, teachers, and school staff in implementing and monitoring a comprehensive mathematics program.
- Helps design and participates in school and/or district professional development activities to improve mathematics teaching and learning.
- Plans, demonstrates, co-teaches, and coaches with classroom teachers.
- Assist teachers in developing curriculum-based assessments and instruction.
- Works with school and district committees on developing written grading standards and reporting systems for clear communication of mathematical knowledge and practice.
- Works with teachers and school staff in implementing grading and reporting standards.
- Uses a variety of data to evaluate students working independently and with classroom teachers and school staff to adjust their instruction to meet the needs of all students.
- Uses a variety of data to evaluate abilities and disabilities of students and works independently and with classroom teachers and school staff to adjust their instruction to meet the needs of all students.
- Collects and maintains appropriate records of student progress and provides timely and accurate oral and written feedback to teachers, school staff, students, and parents.
- Serves as a member of the school math committee and data team to design, implement, and monitor the school mathematics plan.
- Engages collaboratively in the school-wide and district-wide mathematics effort to build a shared vision and supportive culture, identify common goals, and monitor and evaluate progress toward those goals.
- Participates actively as part of school team, giving feedback on mathematical practice, examining student mathematics work, analyzing data from multiple sources, making decisions to improve student learning, and being accountable for each student’s learning in mathematics.
- Creates learning environments in which individual differences are respected and valued.
- Collaborates with families, school teachers and staff, and other professionals to promote student growth and development in mathematics.
- Reports results of improvement plan effectiveness to the school principal on a regular basis.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Principal and/or other administrators.
- Assists with selection and creation of learning materials that are appropriate for mathematics curriculum goals, relevant to learners, and based upon principles of effective mathematics instruction.
- Plans how to achieve student learning goals in mathematics, choosing appropriate mathematics strategies, mathematics resources and materials to differentiate instruction for individuals and groups of students; develops appropriate sequencing of mathematics learning experiences; and allows multiple ways to demonstrate knowledge and skill in mathematics.
- Carefully evaluates how to achieve student learning goals and uses appropriate strategies and resources to adapt to the mathematics needs of individuals and groups of students.
- Continuously monitors student learning in mathematics, engages students in assessing their progress in mathematics, and adjusts mathematics instruction in response to student learning needs.
- Provides multiple opportunities for students to understand mathematics concepts and use mathematical practices, and to demonstrate their mathematics knowledge and practice with a variety of products and performances.
- Engages all students in developing higher-order critical thinking and practice in mathematics.
- Engages students in using a range of learning programs and technology tools to access, interpret, evaluate, and apply mathematics learning.
- Collaborates with students and families to implement active mathematics learning experiences.
- Other duties as assigned by administration.
Performance of this position will be evaluated in accordance with the District evaluation model.