JobID 3254 : Teacher, ISS (#2028209)
Position: Teacher, Secondary
Work Site: Assigned School
General Job Description:
To provide guidance and instructional experiences that are academically and developmentally appropriate for each student assigned to that classroom.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the content area(s) and approved curriculum.
- Differentiate instructional methods and resources in each area taught.
- Recognize student diversity and create an atmosphere conducive to the promotion of positive student involvement and self-concept.
- Demonstrate a willingness to examine and implement change.
- Communicate accurately and effectively in the content area and maintain a professional rapport with students.
- Comprehend the principles of student growth, development and learning, and apply them appropriately.
- Obtain feedback from and communicate with students in a manner that enhances student learning and understanding.
- Utilize a variety of teaching methods and resources for each area taught. Use appropriate techniques, strategies, and materials to achieve the desired instructional goal. Understand and apply learning theories.
- Encourage the development of student involvement, responsibility, and critical thinking skills.
- Manage classroom to ensure the best use of instructional time. Develop and implement appropriate classroom management strategies while maintaining high expectations for student behavior.
- Create an atmosphere conducive to learning, self-discipline, and development of realistic and positive self-concepts. Encourage cooperation among students.
- Maintain accurate and complete records as required by the school district, and report progress or lack thereof to parents in a timely manner.
- Take precautions to protect equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Work productively with administration, colleagues, parents, and community.
- Prepare for instruction and show written evidence of preparation.
- Complete duties (hall, bus, etc.) as assigned.
- Leave adequate preparations for a substitute.
- Use current technology for instruction and management.
- Use diagnostic data to improve instructional programs.
- Report suspected child abuse and neglect.
- Be responsible for students on field trips.
- Act as a good role model within the context of the school.
- May supervise educational assistants, student teachers and high school vocational lab students.
- Attend staff meetings, and serve on committees as necessary.
- Attend professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops in order to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Accept other responsibilities as deemed necessary by the supervisor, in accordance with board policy and New Mexico state statues.
- Comply with all Board of Education policies, administrative regulations, Public Education Department guidelines and local, state and federal laws.
- Perform additional tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Valid New Mexico teaching license
- Endorsements as required
- All Language Arts teachers must have a TESOL endorsement
- All Physical Education teachers must have a Health endorsement
- All other specialty endorsements as required by NM PED.
- Teaching experience in public schools
- Knowledge of Dine culture, and history preferred
- The ability to handle fast-paced environments and multi-task under pressure
- The ability to remain calm and respond professionally in stressful situation
- The ability to motivate students, and work well with parents and staff members.
Standing, sitting, walking, lifting, carrying up to 50 pounds, climbing, bending, reaching, kneeling, driving a vehicle, traveling long distances, writing, typing, work processing, reading, researching information and effective communication skills.
Safety and Health:
- Knowledge of universal hygiene precautions
- Background check
- Knowledge and compliance with school Safety Plan.
- Multimedia equipment, including current technology
- Equipment/materials relevant to job responsibilities
- Must be able to work within various degrees of noise, temperature and air quality
- Work interruptions
- Must be self-motivated and able to complete job assignment without direct supervision
- Must complete applications and assignments within the timeframes allowed
- Extended work hours, on occasion
Terms of Employment:
- One-year contract
- Prompt and consistent attendance is an essential requirement of this position
- 185 days annually