JobID 2228 : Drop in Center Success Coach (#2023793)
The Success Coach will assist teachers with educational and instructional activities, and non-teaching tasks. Paraprofessionals will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
Working from our Drop in Center in Harrisburg, PA, the Success Coach will be responsible for guiding students toward college/career readiness through successful completion of the school program. The Success Coach’s work with students will be balanced between academic support (with virtual and in-person Teachers) and advisory activities.
- Assist students in their courses by providing on-site motivation and support;
- Work collaboratively with a team of teachers (both in-person and virtual) to ensure that all students in the cohort are on track and successfully progressing through the program;
- Assist students with daily assignments and projects to increase understanding;
- Clarify directions, rubrics and portfolio requirements;
- Assist Virtual Teachers with keeping student records and data up-to-date, including cumulative files, online student and family information, attendance accounting, and logging all student and parent contacts;
- Participate in the organization and administration of State Testing, as directed;
- Help carry out educational programs developed through the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) process for special education students;
- Maintain a positive, supportive, and engaging learning environment at all times;
- Develop and implement strategies that encourage student collaboration and teamwork;
- Supervise an advisory cohort of students, ensuring that all students are successfully progressing through the program and that parents have a central point of contact for discussions on their student;
- Monitor students’ attendance, participation, and academic performance;
- Oversee the student escalation process to communicate with the Program Manager and On-site and Virtual Teachers if student is “approaching alarm” or “in alarm” status, based on escalation metrics;
- Develop and monitor individualized Action Plans for each student in escalation; including working with students to set goals for getting back on track and communicating with parents/caretakers and school staff;
- Act as main point of contact for parents, teachers and other staff members regarding students in escalation; plan and deliver workshops related to general work/study habits, working effectively in teams, test-taking strategies and 21st century learning skills;
- Help each student identify and focus on his or her potential and aspirations;
- Support college and career counseling activities under direction of Guidance Counselor;
- Help students to research and understand their post-secondary career and educational options;
- Assist with student preparation of applications for college and jobs;
- Work with a team to coordinate and implement social activities and relevant field trips for students; and
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong multi-cultural skills
- Strong technology skills
- Customer focused approach
- Ability to motivate and assist students with high school coursework
- High degree of flexibility/ Team player track record
- Demonstrated ability to work well in an innovative, fast paced environment
- Ability to work evening hours occasionally to support students/families
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
This is largely a sedentary role. Requires the ability to lift, squat, sit, bend or stand as necessary.
- Travel may be needed for this position.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent relevant experience)
- Possess Paraprofessional or Teaching Certification in Pennsylvania
- Experience and demonstrated interest in working with youth (both strivers and strugglers) in a diverse urban environment
- Experience working in a school or other educational environment
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Commonwealth Charter Academy is an equal opportunity employment, educational and service organization.