JobID 9481 : Principal of St. Laurence High School (#2023215)
St. Laurence High School in Burbank, Illinois is seeking qualified candidates for the Principal position.
St. Laurence offers 9-12 grade students a unique co-ed learning environment. During freshmen and sophomore years, students have single-gender classes. As juniors and seniors, classes are fully co-ed.
St. Laurence models the examples set by Blessed Edmund and the Christian Brothers to develop its students spiritually through the Essential Elements of a Christian Brother Education. Blessed Edmund Rice was given the grace to respond to the call of Jesus by identifying with Christ in the poor. His example evoked a deep awareness of God’s loving presence in all with whom he came in contact. He also awakened within them a consciousness of their dignity as children of God. He invited the followers to share the Gospel insight to reach out to the needy, especially the materially poor. His mission has spread globally, spanning over five continents and influencing young people in over 250 schools worldwide.
The Principal is responsible for establishing and maintaining an educational environment in which the resources of the School are coordinated and directed in accordance with the Essential Elements, the philosophy of a Christian Brother educational community and the policies of the Board of Directors. The Principal reports to the President and is responsible for the overall academic direction and implementation for the School.
The Principal oversees all aspects of the School, as more fully described in the detailed job description. However, the most critical roles and responsibilities are detailed below:
- Carry On the Mission. The Essential Elements provide the educational framework, national standards and inspiration for all that happens at the School. The Principal represents and advocates for the Essential Elements in the ongoing education of its students.
- Drive a Leading Educational Experience. The Principal implements forward-looking curricula, programs and educational experiences to ensure St. Laurence provides a leading education to its students.
- Market the School & Attract/Retain Students. The Principal articulates the unique differentiators of a St. Laurence education and effectively oversees marketing and admissions initiatives in a highly competitive educational environment.
- Manage a Fiscally Disciplined Administration. The Principal supports the President in managing the financial performance of the School to support its sustainability and its ability to reinvest in academic programs, faculty and facilities.
- Solicit Charitable Donations/Fundraising. As an independent, non-parochial School, an important source of the School’s funding comes from charitable contributions. The Principal supports the President in maintaining and cultivating relationships with existing and prospective donors in order to sustain the School’s annual and longer-term fundraising capabilities.
- Effectively Communicate with All Constituents. With a history of close to 60 years in the Chicago area, the School has a deep connection with the community, evidenced most by its strong alumni and parent networks. The Principal is an active and effective communicator in his/her capacity as the face of the School to the St. Laurence constituency.
- Serve as the School’s Spiritual Leader. In concert with the President, the Principal is responsible for providing a faith-based learning environment grounded in Catholicism. The Principal carries on the tradition of acting as one of the spiritual leaders within the community.
- Recruit, Develop & Manage a Team. The Principal works directly with the President to attract, develop and retain the best and brightest faculty and administrative staff to handle the day-to-day operations of the School.
- Type 75/State Administration/Principal Certification required
- Master’s/Doctorate preferred
- Ten years in the field of education that includes successful teaching experience
- Familiarity with Project-Based Learning, STEM Curriculum, International Baccalaureate World Schools and e-learning
- Driven by the values of: Compassion, Courage, Excellence, Community
- Appreciative, Adaptable, Trustworthy to all constituents, including students
- Strong interpersonal skills with a positive, approachable attitude and a willingness to connect and build relationships with all constituents
- Goal-oriented and team-driven individual with a proven track record of achieving results
- Decisive decision maker with experience using data and analytics to drive outcomes
- Lifelong learner
A successful candidate understands the following challenges in 21st century education:
- Communication and Collaboration – ability to have difficult conversations
- Student Outcomes – increase college acceptances, achievement scores/merit and scholarships
- Faculty Evaluations- allow teachers to take on leadership roles and develop appropriate professional development
- Diversity- the importance of maintaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body
A successful candidate also understands what makes St. Laurence unique:
- The family-based culture
- The impact of local parishes, schools and the Archdiocese of Chicago on the recruitment model
- The mission of a St. Laurence student in society
Interested candidates can visit www.stlaurence.com to learn more about this opportunity. All applicants are required to send a letter of interest and Vitae to Dr. Patrick Callaghan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you know someone that might be a candidate for this position, please send the rationale and contact information to Dr. Callaghan at the email above.
St. Laurence is an Equal Opportunity Employer