JobID 1228 : Summer School Nurses (5) (#2021466)
Waltham Public Schools
The purpose of this position is to perform professional nursing duties to advance the well-being, safety and academic success of students of the Waltham Public Schools. The School Nurse performs nursing services in schools to prevent the spread of illness and disease.
1. Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
2. Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing from an accredited college or university
3. MA DESE School Nurse Licensure
1. Knowledge of pediatric health issues and case management
2. Knowledge of current community health issues
3. Knowledge of communicable disease in the community setting
4. Knowledge of federal, state and municipal public health laws and the policies and procedures of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
5. Knowledge of the Massachusetts Nurse Practice Act
1. Ability to provide nursing care to students including assessment of injuries and illness
2. Ability to administer first aid and CPR
3. Ability to respond promptly to emergencies including carrying an emergency bag, climbing stairs, pushing a student in a wheelchair
4. Ability to organize and implement student health screenings as required by the MA Department of Public Health
5. Ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, staff, and supervisors
6. Ability to work independently and carry out assigned projects to their completion
7. Ability to use and apply technology including computerization of health data
8. Ability to delegate medications and treatments within the guidelines of the Massachusetts Nurse Practice Act
9. Ability to see with close vision and the ability to adjust focus
10. Ability to hear normal sounds, distinguish sounds such as voice patterns and speech.
1. Skilled in CPR with AED, and first aid for children and adults
2. Skilled in student health assessment and nursing care
3. Skilled in continuously evaluating and improving student health and safety
4. Skilled in instructing and supervising unlicensed staff for delegated tasks
Supervises students’ health status
Supervision Given and Received:
Works under the general direction of the Superintendent of Schools and the direct supervision of the building Principal and the Director of Nurses. Is evaluated by the Director of Nurses and the building principal.
Description of Duties:
1. Complies with MA Board of Registration of Nursing and MA Department of Education regulations.
2. Respond promptly to emergencies and administers first aid to students/staff.
3. Triages student/staff with an injury, illness, or accident and provides appropriate interventions.
4. Implements all state mandated programs.
5. Reviews immunization status for all students to ensure compliance with MA DPH regulations.
6. Provides medically prescribed interventions based on state regulations.
7. Serves as a health advocate.
8. Monitors exclusions and readmission of students in connection with infectious and contagious diseases.
9. Administers medication in compliance with school policy and state regulations.
10. Develops a comprehensive nursing care plan for students with special health care needs.
11. Assists students and families to obtain health care insurance coverage as needed.
12. Instructs students and staff in standard precautions.
13. Assists school personnel in identifying health and safety conditions.
14. Collaborates with school staff regarding safety plans for handicapped or special needs students.
15. Provides individual and group health instruction.
16. Collaborates with school personnel on health education topics.
17. Reports to parents regarding individual student health issues in a timely manner.
18. Reports all suspected cases of child abuse and neglect in compliance with state regulations.
19. Maintains a daily log of health service activities.
20. Maintains a Massachusetts School Health record for every student.
21. Prepares and submits monthly reports for the Director of Nurses, and all state mandated reports in a timely manner.
22. Advises school staff of students’ health issues that may impact learning in compliance with federal and state laws.
23. Attends committee meetings and conferences regarding health services.
24. Performs other responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Nurses
Salary: As defined by the WEA Contract