JobID 6609 : Driver Education or Physical Education Teacher/Football Coach (#2020446)
First State Military Academy is seeking a full-time Certified Driver Education or Physical Education Teacher and Football Coach for the 2019-2020 School Year. The successful candidate will have excellent people skills, be self-motivated, and have demonstrated ability to deliver lessons to support the curriculum goals in Driver Education or Physical Education. First State Military Academy utilizes Project Based Learning and Cadet lead projects to prepare all of our students for success in life, college and the careers of tomorrow.
The Teacher facilitates student success in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing Project Based Learning curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; addressing the specific educational needs of our cadets’ providing a safe and optimal learning environment; and providing feedback to cadets, parents and administration regarding cadet progress, expectations, goals, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in content area
Certificates & Licenses:
- Hold or be eligible for a valid State of Delaware Secondary Driver Education or Health/Physical Education Teacher Standard Certificate
- Valid State of Delaware teaching license, or eligibility to obtain one.
- Passing scores on examinations approved by the Delaware State Board of Education and Professional Standards Board in reading, writing, and mathematics (e.g. PRAXIS I)
Requirements for Driver’s Education
- 6 college credits in driver education or equivalent courses offered by DE DOE, plus sufficient progress toward 15 other required credits (see Title 14 DE Admin Code 1553: )
- Valid Driver's License
- No more than five points total from any jurisdiction on your driving record
- Must not have had your driver's license suspended, revoked or disqualified in any jurisdiction in the last five years
- Adapts classroom work to provide cadets with instructional materials that address individualized learning plans within established lesson plans.
- Administers developmental testing programs, subject specific assessments, etc. to assess student competency levels and/or develop individual learning plans.
- Advises parents and/or legal guardians of cadet progress to communicate expectations; cadet’s achievements; develop methods for improvement and/or to reinforce classroom goals in the home environment.
- Assesses cadet progress towards objectives, expectations, and/or goals to provide feedback to cadets, parents and administration.
- Collaborates with instructional staff, other school personnel, parents and a variety of community resources to improve the overall quality of cadet outcomes in support of the school improvement plan.
- Counsels cadets on performance improvement, problem solving techniques and a variety of life skills issues.
- Demonstrates methods required to perform classroom and/or subject specific assignments to provide an effective program that addresses individual cadet requirements.
- Instructs cadets to improve their success in academic, interpersonal, and daily living skills through defined course study.
- Monitors and manages cadet behavior to provide a safe and optimal learning environment.
- Prepares a variety of written materials (e.g. grades, attendance, anecdotal records, etc.) to document cadet progress and meet mandated requirements.
- Reports incidents (e.g. fights, suspected child abuse, suspected substance abuse, etc.) to maintain personal safety of cadets, provide a positive learning environment and adhere to DE State Code and school policies.
- Performs all other related duties, as assigned, to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the school.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to constantly monitor the safety and well-being of students, particularly when student is participating in an inclusive activity.
- Ability to motivate students.
- Ability to maintain a clean and orderly environment.
- Ability to perform general clerical duties.
- Ability to maintain order and discipline in a classroom.
- Ability to maintain basic files and records.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to think with a growth mindset, and ability to work, and teach interdisciplinary content.
Football Coach Duties and Qualifications
- Provides the proper skills foundation and support for student athletes.
- Manages the varsity and junior varsity sports programs, and coordinates coaching staff for both.
- Plans and schedules practices, to include strengthening and conditioning programs.
- Recommends the purchase of equipment, supplies, and uniforms as appropriate.
- Oversees the safety conditions of the facility or areas used for the program.
- Establishes standards of conduct, and enforces discipline and sportsmanlike behavior at all times; establishes and oversees penalties for breach of such standards by individual students.
- Teaches fundamental skills of sport.
- Works with the Athletic Director in scheduling interscholastic contests.
- Responsible for the safety and well-being of participants while under direct supervision. Renders First Aid where appropriate.
- Assigns assistant coaches duties and responsibilities where such positions exist.
- Maintains uniforms and equipment through a student/parent inventory accountability agreement; maintains an inventory, and secures storage of equipment, supplies, and uniforms; recommends replacement purchases or reconditioning as appropriate.
- Knows and complies with local and state handbooks and regulations.
- Teachers or certificated professional educators employed by the Board of Education, preferred.
- CPR/AED Certified
- Completed NFHS Courses: Sudden Cardiac Arrest, Concussion, Heat Illness Prevention
Additional Job Information:
The following are conditions of employment for new employees:
- Satisfactory criminal background check prior to being placed on payroll.
- Satisfactory child protection registry check.
- TB Test
- Mandatory direct deposit of pay.
Salary will be calculated based on the First State Military Academy salary schedule for teaching staff which is based on years of experience and education level. In addition to this salary, a stipend will be paid for the Head Football Coach position.
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. The selected candidate should expect to perform any other related activities needed to deliver the position’s key duties and responsibilities and follow any other instructions as defined by his/her supervisor.
First State Military Academy is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, age or Vietnam Era veteran’s status in employment or its programs and activities. All interested applicants should upload resume and complete the application on www.joindelawareschools.org
If you have any questions, please contact Melanie Keenan at Melanie.email@example.com or (302) 233-2150.
355 W. Duck Creek Road • PO Box 888 • Clayton, Delaware 19938
Office: (302) 223-2150 Fax: (302) 223-2178