JobID 883 : 4th/5th Grade ELA Teacher--L Hollingworth School (#2010575)
QUALIFICATIAONS: Minimum Bachelor Degree with valid Ohio Teachers Certificate
Ability to teach and implement curriculum for assigned grade
Possess applicable endorsements as required by ODE
Maintain highly qualified status as required by NCLB Act
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty above average. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
NATURE OF POSITION: Implementation and coordination of instructional programs to ensure that all students meet and exceed the State Core Curriculum Content Standards. Achieving excellence requires that teachers work collaboratively and communicate effectively with students, parents, members of the community and colleagues in other districts and schools. Inherent in the position are the responsibilities for planning, coordination and monitoring the effective delivery of the established curriculum to students.
REPORTS TO: Testing, Assessment and Curriculum Coordinator
RESPONSIBILITIES OF POSITION: The Teacher is responsible for:
- Plans and implements a program of instruction that adheres to the academy philosophy, goals and objectives as outlined in the adopted course study.
- Creates a classroom environment conducive to learning by employing a variety of appropriate teaching strategies including, but not limited to, project-based learning.
- Uses engaging, creative and appropriate assignments and resources to help students make connections with learning outside the educational environment.
- Effectively utilizes and integrates a variety of technology into daily instruction with students. Makes purposeful and appropriate lesson plans that provide for effective teaching strategies and maximize time on task.
- Plans and implements a program of study designed to meet individual needs of students.
- Encourage student enthusiasm for the learning process and the development of good study habits.
- Consistently collaborates with staff and facilitates an interdisciplinary curriculum to establish a deeper meaning of content for students.
- Prepares substitute folder (emergency) containing appropriate information.
- Plans and prescribes purposeful assignments for tutors and volunteers as needed.
- Recognizes challenges with learning and makes referrals as appropriate.
- Demonstrates strong knowledge of subject matter taught.
- Provides progress and interim reports to parents, staff and other appropriate parties as required.
- Maintain students’ grades, assignments and attendance utilizing applicable software applications.
- Performs other related job duties as designated by the Head of School.
- Keeps current in subject matter knowledge and learning theory and is willing to share this knowledge for continual improvement of the school's curriculum.
- Provide feedback and assist in the ongoing curriculum revision process, including the revision of written courses of study.
- Becomes acquainted with, and utilizes appropriate supplemental services beneficial to students as an extension of regular classroom activities.
- Evaluates accomplishments of students on a regular basis using multiple assessment methods such as teacher made tests, samples of students' work, mastery skills check lists, criterion-referenced tests and norm-referenced tests.
- Makes appropriate adjustments in the instructional program and as required.
- Respects the confidentiality of records and information regarding students, parents, and teachers in accordance with accepted professional ethics, and state and federal laws.
- Develops, in accordance with district school guidelines, reasonable rules of classroom behavior and appropriate techniques that are consistently applied.
- Maintain open communication with the Dean of Students.
- Support school-wide behavior management programs and techniques.
- Maintain a high degree of professionalism when addressing or managing behavioral challenges.
- Takes necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Shares responsibility during the school day for the supervision of students in all areas of the school.
- Provides for the supervision of assigned students when circumstances require a brief absence from the assignment.
- Acts as an advisor for a group of students by serving as primary advocate for student both socially and academically.
- Upholds and enforces board policy, administrative procedures, and school rules and regulations, and is supportive of them to the public.
- Maintains appropriate work habits, including regular and punctual attendance and appropriate use of conference and planning time.
- Strives to communicate the positive aspects of our school program to the public in word and deed.
- Works cooperatively with parents to strengthen the educational program for their children.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative relationships with other staff members.
- Seeks out positive solutions and productive outcomes.
- Continues professional growth through attendance at workshops, seminars, conferences, and/or advanced course work at institutions of higher learning.
- Cooperates with the administration in planning appropriate in-service training programs at the academy.
- Attends and participates in staff, department, and committee meetings as required.
DRUG FREE WORKPLACE REQUIREMENT:
The employee shall remain free of any alcohol or non-prescribed controlled substance abuse in the workplace throughout his/her employment in the academy.
PERFORMANCE STANDARDS: The Elementary School Teacher will:
Be interested in the work of the school, strongly committed to moral values, whose mission is dedicated to providing an excellent early educational foundation for children that will enable them to be motivated and excited learners.
- Demonstrate a passion and commitment in working with the Talented and Gifted population.
- Establish and maintain work performance standards in line with those standards established by LHSTG.
- Communicate effectively with the students and parents regarding information, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate the willingness and ability to work with people in a team environment.
- Assure confidentiality of all student and school privileged information.
- Maintain positive, cooperative and mutually supportive relationships with the Board of Directors, Buckeye Community Hope Foundation, students, parents, fellow teachers, co-workers and the community.
OVERALL SKILLS, ABILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS:
Ability to apply knowledge of current research and theory with specific job duties and area of service. Must have strong communication, interpersonal and computer skills. Experience and demonstrated knowledge, and use of PC/Windows and web based applications and software including word processing and spreadsheet applications required. Must have ability to learn and utilize new software programs as systems are upgraded. Typing/keyboarding required with good grammatical spelling and punctuation. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with parents, students, staff, Board of Directors, vendors and the community. Ability to work in a team environment. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both in oral and written form. Ability to perform duties maintaining current knowledge of all academy requirements and applicable regulatory standards. Satisfactory clearance of required pre-employment screenings and background checks.