JobID 858 : Science Composite Teacher / Girls Assistant Basketball Coach (#2009432)
This posting is for the 2020/2021 school year.
Provide students with appropriate learning activities and experiences in the core academic subject area assigned to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth. Provide instruction and coach students to develop skills and ability to excel in assigned sport(s). Enable students to develop competencies and skills to function successfully in society.
Bachelor’s degree from accredited university
Valid Texas teaching certificate with required endorsements or training for subject and level assigned
Current automated external defibrillator (AED) certificate
Clear and valid Texas commercial driver’s license with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsements preferred
Knowledge of core academic subject assigned
Knowledge of curriculum and instruction
Knowledge of coaching techniques and procedures
Knowledge of University Interscholastic League (UIL) rules
Ability to instruct and manage student behavior
Ability to pass U.S. Department of Transportation alcohol and drug tests and annual physical
Ability to work well and in a positive manner with staff, students, and public
Ability to use computer software to develop spreadsheets, databases, and do word processing
Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Demonstrated competency in the core academic subject and coaching area assigned; prior experience working with students preferred.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Develop and implement lesson plans that fulfill the requirements of district’s curriculum program and show written evidence of preparation as required. Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for differences in individual student differences.
- Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, equipment, and technology that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned and present subject matter according to guidelines established by Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative regulations.
- Conduct assessment of student learning styles and use results to plan instructional activities.
- Work cooperatively with special education teachers, nurses, counselor, and administrator to modify curricula as needed for special population students according to guidelines established in Individual Education Plans (IEP), or 504 plan.
- Work with other members of staff as appropriate to determine instructional goals, objectives, and methods according to district requirements.
- Plan and assign work to instructional partner(s) and/or volunteer(s) and oversee completion.
- Conduct ongoing assessment of student achievement through formal and informal testing. Interpret data to make academic adjustments for individual students.
- Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities as assigned. Sponsor outside activities approved by the campus principal.Be a positive role model for students; support mission of school district.
- Create classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Manage student behavior in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Assist in selecting books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required.
- Establish and maintain a professional relationship and open communication with parents, students, colleagues, and community members.
- Perform assigned duties on campus as assigned by administration (recess, dismissal, etc.).
- Comply with state, district, and school regulations and policies for classroom teachers.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings, staff development and serve on staff committees as required.
- Manage and supervise athletic activities, contests, and practice sessions to promote individual growth in athletic skills, teamwork, and good sportsmanship.
- Establish performance criteria for competition and evaluate students’ athletic abilities initially and on a performance of sport.
- Work with athletic director and campus administration to schedule competitions and plan season activities including practices, special events, and tournaments.
- Coordinate with the athletic director, campus administration, and the transportation department for travel arrangements.
- Ensure compliance with all UIL rules.
- Monitor and enforce student eligibility criteria for extracurricular participation.
- Develop and coordinate a continuing evaluation of program and make changes based on findings.
- Accompany and supervise student athletes during athletic competitions in assigned sports both at-home and on out-of-town trips.
- Instruct and advise students on NCAA regulations with regard to academic requirements for scholarships and recruiting practices.
- Apply and enforce student discipline during athletic contests, practice sessions, and while on trips off school property in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Encourage, by example and through instruction, sportsmanlike conduct in all phases of athletic participation.
- Initiate and approve purchase orders and bids in accordance with budgetary limitations and district policies.
- Oversee process of cleaning, repairing, and storing all campus athletic equipment and maintain a current inventory of all equipment and fixed assets within program.
- The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.