JobID 193 : Substitute School Nurse (#2008543)
Must hold a license issued by New Jersey Department of Education.
The license position area must be in School Nurse.
The license status must be active or about to graduate from a state-approved teacher preparation program.
School Nurse - Substitute
- To provide assessment, screening, planning, intervention, evaluation, counseling, management and/or referrals concerning the health and medical care needs of students for the purpose of minimizing absences due to illness, maximizing educational opportunities, and creating a healthy school climate.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, symptoms, diagnoses, treatments, first aid, illnesses and injuries, nutrition, and related areas.
- Ability to diagnose and provide care for ill or injured students.
- Ability to convey appropriate medical information to school district staff or medical professionals to ensure a proper maintenance in the school setting.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and perform arithmetic operations as needed for position.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word, Excel, Powerpoint, the Internet, Outlook, electronic mail).
- Ability to problem solve job-related issues.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals and students with special needs.
- Ability to follow oral and written orders from supervisors, administrators, physicians, and to coordinate work with principal, teachers and others.
- Ability to describe orally and in writing school health services provided, issues and concerns regarding school health.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
- Adheres to all applicable professional safety standards and practices in the nursing field, including requirements set forth in federal and state law, and Occupational Safety and Health regulations.
- Implements Board Policy regarding Blood Borne Pathogens and other Board policies regarding the medical or health care of employees and students.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Work in standard school building environment.
- Exposure to body secretions, blood borne pathogens, medicine and medicinal supplies, illnesses and diseases.
License or Certificate:
- Candidate must hold appropriate substitute school nurse credentials and New Jersey certifications.