JobID 1391 : Elementary Teacher (grade level to be determined) - for 2020-21 (#2007849)
Purpose: The Elementary School Teacher challenges each student to reach his/her highest academic potential through a relevant curriculum in a safe and effective learning environment. In achieving this common goal, the Elementary School Teacher collaborates with other members of the staff and administration to appropriately respond to individual needs and abilities.
Responsible to: Principal
Payment rate: According to negotiated agreement
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university.
- Current Kansas State Teaching Licensure with endorsement appropriate to the assignment on file in the Central Office.
- Health and Inoculation Certificate on file in the Central Office.
- Planning and Preparation:
- Demonstrate knowledge of content
- Demonstrate knowledge of pedagogy
- Demonstrate knowledge of students
- Select instructional goals
- Demonstrate knowledge of resources
- Design coherent instruction
- Assess student learning
- Classroom Environment:
- Create an environment of respect and rapport
- Establish a culture for learning
- Manage classroom procedures
- Manage student behavior
- Organize physical space
- Communicate clearly and accurately
- Use questioning and discussion techniques
- Engage students in learning
- Provide feedback to students
- Demonstrate flexibility and responsiveness
- Professional Responsibilities:
- Adhere to contractual responsibilities
- Reflect on teaching practices
- Maintain accurate records
- Communicate with families
- Contribute to the school and district
- Grow and develop professionally
- Show professionalism
- Collaborate with others to achieve a common goal
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
1. Requires prolonged sitting or standing.
2. Occasionally requires physical exertion to manually move, lift, carry, pull, or push heavy objects or materials.
3. Occasional stooping, bending, and reaching.
4. Must work indoors and outdoors year-round.
5. Must work in noisy and crowded environments.
1. Support the mission and vision of the Emporia Public Schools.
2. Assist with the ongoing curriculum revision process as well as other building/district level committee tasks.
3. Help to sustain the profession by supervising student teachers, observers, paraeducators, and aides.
4. Provide academic assistance to students before and after regular school hours.
5. Obtain instructional resources and materials through processes outlined by the principal.
6. Supervise students at school by monitoring hallways and common areas.
7. Stay abreast of new technologies to facilitate and support student learning, data management, and communication.
8. Uphold and enforce board policy, administrative procedures, and school rules/regulations including but not limited to:
- Acceptable use of technology
- Sexual and racial harassment
- Child abuse reporting
- Health and safety including all precautions of the Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Plan
- Communicate effectively with administrators, parents, staff, and community organizations with regard to student progress/needs.
- Interact with students, parents, and staff in a professional manner demonstrating tolerance of individual differences, patience, and sensitivity.
- Maintain appropriate work habits, including regular and punctual attendance; timely submission of required reports; participate in staff, department, and committee/team meetings; contribute to SIT/IEP activities.
- Respect the confidentiality of records and information regarding students, parents, and teachers in accordance with accepted professional ethics, and state and federal laws.
- Attend/assist with school events; organize/supervise field trips; etc.
- Maintain a substitute folder containing appropriate information as required by the principal.
- Maintain a safe and well-organized instructional space.
- Be prepared to implement the Building Crisis Plan; actively participate in response drills.
- Respond to change in a productive manner.
- Strive to communicate the positive aspects of our school program to the public in word and deed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Principal, or other building or district administration.