JobID 3027 : Special Education Teacher (Gr. 7-12) (#2004014)
Special Education Teacher
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to maximize the learning experience of students with special needs, in academics, interpersonal skills and activities of daily living by implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities, outcomes; addressing students' specific needs; providing a safe and optimal learning environment.
· Conducts assessments, testing and diagnostic examinations of students for the purpose of identifying learning issues, and recommending courses of action or corrective procedures to overcome issues and maximize learning.
· Assists in developing Individual Educational Plans ("IEP") for students.
· Assists students and teaching staff in implementing students' IEP's and behavior management plans.
· Coordinates with outside agencies, organizations and institutions, including state and federal authorities as needed.
· Coordinates with administrators and other teaching staff members to ascertain individual student's abilities and needs, including students with special needs, and to familiarize stakeholders with social work services.
· Serves as ready resource to students and parents to provide counseling that will lead each student to increased personal growth, self-understanding, and behavioral management; serves as liaison between home and school.
· Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research, and by maintaining professional relationships with members of institutions of higher learning and the business community.
· Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping and providing student information to prospective colleges and employers, as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
· Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
· Assists in the orientation of new teachers, and provides in-service training in guidance.
· Selects and requisitions appropriate books, aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
· Performs other related tasks as assigned by the administrator and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
· Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
· Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
· Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
· Knowledge of Special Education principles, theories, testing, methods, etc. as well as proven methods of maximizing the educational experience of students with special needs.
· Knowledge of differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
· Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
· Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
· Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
· Ability to organize and coordinate work.
· Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
· Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
· Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
· Works in standard office and school building environments.
· New York State Certification as a Special Education Teacher.
· Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
· Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
· Masters Degree in Special Education.
· Successful prior special education teaching experience for the appropriate grade level a Plus.
For more information and to apply please go to: http://www.herkimer-boces.org/employment