JobID 4440 : Specialized Paraeducator (176 days, 6.5 hours) (#1998627)
QUALIFICATIONS: High School diploma or equivalent
Associate degree or 60 college credit hours or pass the ETS (Educational Testing Service)
ParaPRO Assessment Test
Educator License with Stipulations (ELS) with a Paraprofessional Endorsement
Experience and training to work effectively with students in an educational setting
Knowledge of computers or ability and willingness to learn
Evidence of emotional stability and maturity
Able to lift 35 pounds
REPORTS TO: CLASSROOM TEACHER AND SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR
SUPERVISOR: SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR
JOB GOAL: Responsible for working with special education students on a daily basis, providing physical, emotional, and academic support. Assists students in accessing the district’s special education program.
- Works with individual students or small groups in the reinforcement of skills;
- Assists with achievement and diagnostic tests as assigned by the teacher;
- Assists the teacher in devising special strategies for reinforcing materials or skills based on individual needs,
interests and abilities;
- Assists in the supervision of students during emergency drills, assemblies, play periods and field trips;
- Serves as a resource person to the classroom teacher, substitute teacher; and principal;
- Guides students in independent study, enrichment work and remedial work assigned by the teacher;
- Alerts the teacher to any special information or concerns about individual students;
- Offers guidance and encouragement as students learn new skills;
- Transports students to and from the bus or other locations as needed;
- Assists with feeding as needed;
- Helps document and maintain relevant student information;
- Assists in adapting and developing materials to facilitate individual learning;
- Supports teaching methods as described on the student’s Individual Education Plan (I.E.P.);
- Assists with personal hygiene as needed;
- Establishes positive relationships with students, staff, and parents in accordance with district policy;
- Maintains a high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information;
- Participates in in-service training programs as assigned;
- Performs other related duties as assigned by employee’s supervisor, who they report to, or Central Office Administrators.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: 174 day Classified position with salary and hours to be established by the Board of Education.
EVALUATION: Performance will be evaluated annually in accordance with the provisions established by the Board of Education.
SALARY RANGE: In accordance with the USW (United Steelworkers) Negotiated Agreement
This job description has been reviewed and is in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.