JobID 500 : Teaching Assistant (#1996312)
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: Teaching Assistants provide instructional support services to students under the direct supervision of a highly qualified teacher. This means: (a) the teacher must plan instructional activities that the teaching assistant carries out; (b) the teacher must evaluate the achievement of the students with whom the paraprofessional is working; (c) the teaching assistant must work in close and frequent physical proximity to the teacher; and (d) the supervising teacher must be highly qualified. Teaching Assistants provide direct instructional support to students as they develop social, communication and academic skills. Teaching Assistants assist in devising and implementing a motivational and behavior management system. Teaching Assistants ensure that any intervention/ strategies are conveyed to the teacher while assisting in the implementation of those intervention strategies.
- Works with classroom teacher to plan and implement daily activities and prepare individualized materials for students.
- Provides assistance to teachers and students by demonstrating tasks and intervention strategies for all tasks.
- Assists in providing 1:1 instruction in a firm, consistent, supportive environment in a cooperative effort with the classroom teacher. Responsible for instruction of students consistent with IEP. (1:1 tutoring only to eligible students and is scheduled at a time when the student would not otherwise receive instruction from a teacher.)
- Utilizes visual cues including symbols, pictures and simple sign language.
- Assists classroom teacher in implementing the Individualized Educational Program and Behavior Intervention Plans and strategies for students exhibiting unique communication, emotional, behavioral and learning needs.
- Identifies students who need intervention and will be targeted for intervention for that day.
- Assists with maintaining records, materials and equipment.
- Monitors and documents students progress (each student should have an individual folder for their progress graphs, attendance history, “points sheets”, and behavioral and/or management problems).
- Communicates effectively with the instructional team including classroom teacher, other professional staff, and parents.
- Ensures that the work environment is safe and accessible and that each work station is ready for student learning.
- Assists in arrival and dismissal of students in or outside of the school building.
- Assists in computer instruction.
- Teaching Assistant responds to any other duties as directed by the building Principal.
- Teaching Assistant Certification:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Passed NYSATAS
- Completed Child Abuse Identification Workshop
- Completed School Violence Workshop
- DASA (Dignity for all Students) Workshop
- NYS Fingerprinting