JobID 12163 : School Bus Driver Trainee (#1995313)
Position: School Bus Driver
Reports To: Transportation Supervisor
Salary Schedule / Grade: Refer to Bargaining Union Contract
F.L.S.A Status: Non-Exempt
Under general supervision, is responsible for safely, efficiently, and professionally operating a passenger school bus in transporting pupils and for performing minor maintenance tasks; performs related duties as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(Incumbent performs a majority of the following duties)
- Drive a school bus on an established route per Ohio Department of Education and District requirements, department policy, and other applicable rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Conduct a pre-trip inspection on assigned bus each time the school bus leaves the Transportation Center as required by federal and state laws. Inspect operating systems for visible defects and check fluid levels. Document each inspection per set Transportation procedures.
- Conduct a post-trip inspection on assigned bus each time the school bus returns to the Transportation Center, documenting the results of each inspection.
- Report all mechanical defects in writing to Fleet Services personnel.
- Transport students, parents, and district staff for field trips and special activities as assigned.
- Assist pupils with special needs to ensure their safe transport by:
- providing assistance in boarding and exiting the school bus;
- providing assistance in getting into a seat;
- providing assistance in securing safety restraints;
- operating a wheelchair lift;
- securing wheelchairs; and
- ensuring that all special needs equipment is used properly.
- Communicate with dispatchers and others via two-way radio, using appropriate and professional language and speech.
- Supervise the behavior of pupils on the school bus. Provide verbal directions to riders as needed to ensure their safety.
- Conduct emergency evacuations to train pupils in proper and safe bus evacuation procedures as required.
- Consult with parents / guardians, principals, and Transportation administrators when behavior problems arise on the school bus that cannot be resolved.
- Immediately report all accidents to Transportation Administrator and to Fleet Services.
- Complete accident reports and other reports, as required.
- Complete post-accident controlled substance and/or alcohol testing when required.
- Clean both the exterior and interior of the school bus. Sweep bus floors daily.
- Clean windows as necessary.
- Wash outside as scheduled or as necessary.
- Participate in all in-service and other training.
- Maintain Commercial Driver licensure.
- Follow various District and departmental policies, rules, and regulations as documented in District policy, departmental work rules, and employment handbooks.
- Report observed violations of state laws, rules, regulations, and District policy to Transportation Administration. Complete associated reports as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
CORE BEHAVIORS & COMPETENCIES
- D – Dependability = attendance, response time, completion
- I – Integrity = honesty, being loyal to the absent, ethical decision-making
- C – Collaboration = seeking out teamwork, building bridges
- C – Compassion = showing concern, seeking to understand, being kind
- E – Excellence = being professional, achieving goals, stretching ourselves
- Coping with Stress = capable of handling interruptions and managing stressful situations while driving
- Interpersonal Skills = willing to meet the transportation needs of students with disabilities
- Must be a U.S. citizen or have the legal right to work in the U.S
- Must be 21 years of age
- Must be able to obtain a Commercial Driver License with School Bus and Passenger endorsements
- Must be insurable by the Board’s insurance carrier, including:
- No Driving Under the Influence (DUI) convictions o
- No more than six (6) points on driving record in the past three (3) years •
- Pass a Federal and Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation background check in accordance with Ohio Administrative Code Section 3301-83-06
- Pass an Ohio Department of Education T8 physical
- Pass a pre-employment controlled substance screening (bus drivers are randomly tested for controlled substances after hire)
Knowledge & Experience
- At least four (4) years of experience operating motorized vehicles
- Capable of administering basic first aid, including Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Knowledge of motor vehicle traffic laws, safety rules, and related regulations
- Familiar with streets, roads, and highways in the Dayton Metropolitan area
- Sufficient strength, agility, dexterity, reflexes, vision and visual acuity to operate a motor vehicle
- Sitting for long periods
- Walking, standing, bending, lifting, and climbing of stairs
- Ability to lift up to fifty (50) pounds
- Ability to read and write to complete forms, reports, and other documents
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions
- Work regularly involves driving for sustained periods
- Regular exposure to mechanical fluids and hazards present in a vehicle maintenance facility
- Regular exposure to weather, including rain, snow, ice, heat, cold temperatures, fog, etc.
- Work performed on a school bus is subject to frequent interruptions by pupils.