JobID 6479 : Mechanic II (#1981334)
Process for Applying:
2 Letters of Professional Reference (within the last year)
Copy of TABE/ParaPro scores or Proof of Credentials
This is skilled mechanical work at the Journeyman level in the repair and maintenance of school buses and other light vehicles operated by the School Board.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Repairs and maintains school buses, and other vehicles used in the transportation of the school system.
- Overhauls and repairs diesel engines and other heavy equipment.
- Performs such skilled tasks as re-facing valves and valve seats, honing cylinders, repairing transmissions and differential gears, etc.
- Re-wires ignition systems, makes skilled adjustments of timing, carburetion, and wheel alignment.
- Does complete overhaul jobs on motors, hydraulic systems, air brakes, timing gears, and performs other skilled journeyman tasks.
- Serves as trouble shooter and makes field calls to disabled vehicles.
- Makes analysis of timing percentage of combustion, and adjustments requiring the use of technical instruments.
- Makes service calls to disabled vehicles in the field.
- Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as needed basis.
Supervision may be exercised over a helper.
Qualifications: Completion of a recognized apprenticeship training or four (4) years of progressive automotive mechanical experience. Responsible for doing the same work as a Transportation Mechanic I and have technical knowledge to analyze and trouble shoot work to be repaired. Ability to be in charge of all work assigned to the crew and able to supervise work when called upon to do so. Must possess a valid driver’s license. Ability to make estimates of time and material and make a full material list of all work orders assigned.
The East Baton Rouge Parish School System and all of its entities (including Career and Technical Education Programs) does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, national origin, disability or gender in its educational programs and activities (including employment and application for employment), and it is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of gender by Title IX (20 USC 168) and on the basis of disability by Section 504 (42 USC 794). The Title IX Coordinator is Andrew Davis, Director of Risk Management (ADavis6@ebrschools.org), - phone (225)929-8705. The Section 504 Coordinator is Elizabeth Taylor Chapman, Director of Exceptional Student Services (ETaylor@ebrschools.org) – phone (225)929-8600.