JobID 930 : Anticipated Vacancy 2020-21: Math Specialist 5-8 (#1980006)
Job | Posted 3 months ago
Math Specialist 5-8
Position Summary: The math specialist works with students, teachers, parents and curriculum leaders to implement the New Canaan Public Schools math curriculum.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Consult and collaborate with K-4 Math Team as well as K-8 Math Coordinator.
- Collaborate with staff to plan and implement Common Core Standards and the New Canaan Public Schools Mathematics Curriculum.
- Help teachers implement math workshop model in their math classrooms.
- Collaborate and consult with classroom teachers, the Learning Center, SPED, ESL teachers on both grouping and instruction.
- Work closely with classroom teachers to develop individualized plans for students as well as progress monitoring tools and resources in order to monitor student success.
- Provide push-in and pull-out instruction to students as determined by need.
- Develop and implement effective programs in math.
- Identify and develop curricular materials to provide differentiated instruction.
- Research and evaluate materials and programs for math.
- Participate in parent conferences to communicate student’s progress (report cards, results of formal and informal testing), placement and program.
- Participate in SST meetings for students with math needs.
- Assess new students to provide information to classroom teachers about their individual strengths and needs and make recommendations about their placement and programs.
- Use diagnostic assessment to inform instruction.
- Organize and lead data teams to analyze assessment data to form flexible groups and to differentiate instruction.
- Collect and analyze classroom assessments to provide additional data for RTI and IEP meetings.
- Collaborate with classroom teachers, administrators, and specialists to analyze assessment data in order to make instructional decisions.
- Use all sources of assessment data to monitor student progress and the effectiveness of the math intervention and enrichment.
- Help SST team and classroom teachers to create Tier I, Tier II and Tier III plans, progress monitor effectively, and share data through graphs with trend-lines and aim-lines at SST meetings.
- Plan and implement ongoing staff development in the building and district.
- Plan and implement building-based full day staff development.
- Model lessons for classroom teachers and providing follow-up (e.g. coaching, suggesting resources, planning, math workshop model and next steps).
- Facilitate study groups in both curriculum and pedagogy.
- Meet with math coordinator and building ILs to assess the building’s math needs and develop an action plan for staff development and program implementation.
- Plan and implement parent training/outreach for math areas.
- Plan and present parent information meetings (e.g. curriculum, interpretations of test scores).
- Organize and implement family math events including Family Math Night, parent math workshops, and school wide math events
- Join the Elementary Math Team (K-5) as well as participate in K-12 math professional development and curriculum review and development sessions.
- Develop and implement Teaching Assistant math training throughout the year (especially during conference ½ days)
Must hold CT 4-8 Certification and/or 7-12 Math Certification and /or 092 endorsement
Three or more years of classroom teaching experience
All candidates must hold or be eligible for appropriate CT certification. Please be sure to apply on our website www.ncps-k12.org and upload a cover letter, resume, three letters of recommendation, transcripts and a copy of your certification (if available).
New Canaan School District
39 LOCUST AVENUE, NEW CANAAN, CT 06840-4723
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $20,481 (USD)
% ELL Students
State Average: 7%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 12.29
% IEP Students
State Average: 14%
State Average: 479