JobID 1602 : Supervisor Buildings and Grounds (Long Term Substitute January 2, 2020 to June 1, 2020) (#1978439)
Job | Posted 3 months ago
Montclair Public Schools
Title: Supervisor - Building and Grounds
- Certified Educational Facilities Manager, Preferred
- Three years experience, preferably in a school district environment, in the supervision of buildings and grounds, maintenance, custodial staff; or any combination of training, education, and experience which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities needed for the position
- Considerable knowledge of current and topical problems, procedures, and methods used in managing buildings and grounds maintenance
- . Considerable knowledge of the approved materials and procedures which are effective in maintaining buildings and grounds
- Ability to keep necessary records in an organized and accessible manner.
- Demonstrated ability to select, direct and supervise a group of employees; to assign work and check on its progress and evaluate its completion.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with administrators, principals, employees and suppliers
- Ability to work on site during the hours required and late afternoon through evening.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable
- Required criminal background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal alien status.
- Meet New Jersey Residency Requirements.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
Responsible to: Director of Buildings and Grounds and/or School Business Administrator
Job Goal: The Buildings and Grounds Supervisor, working under the direction of the Director of Buildings and Grounds or the School Business Administrator in the Director’s absence, is responsible for all aspects of plant operation, custodial staff and maintenance. In addition, the Buildings and Grounds Supervisor is responsible for supervising all custodial and maintenance personnel.
- Plant Planning and Construction in collaboration with the Director of Buildings and Grounds:
- Assists in short-range and long range district-wide planning and budgeting for plant facilities.
- Keeps current records on all district properties in an organized and accessible manner.
- Maintains liaison with the municipality, the county and the state on all school construction problems.
- Plans for and supervises all construction, alteration and replacement of buildings and building equipment.
- Prepares plans and specifications within the scope of appropriate licensure/certification and recommends and supervises appropriate architectural or engineering services when required.
- Recommends the use of contractors where required.
- Attends all job site meetings during construction.
- Maintains current knowledge base regarding state and other regulatory body requirements for school properties.
- Plant Operation and Maintenance in collaboration with the Director of Buildings and Grounds:
- Plans and supervises the maintenance program for all buildings and grounds.
- Assures the operational efficiency of all building equipment, such as heating, ventilating, and lighting.
- Supervises the testing and ordering of supplies connected with custodial and maintenance services.
- Makes progress reports on construction and maintenance projects performed by district personnel and contractors.
- Completes studies and submits estimates on costs for all construction and repairs under consideration.
- Prepares specifications for purchases and for services rendered by contractors.
- Assures compliance with federal, state and municipal codes regarding buildings and grounds operations.
- Organizes and supervises an effective preventative maintenance program for all building operations.
- Maintains an updated inventory of all buildings and grounds equipment.
- Prepares, submits and monitors a departmental budget.
- Service Personnel/programs in collaboration with the Director of Buildings and Grounds:
- Supervises, directs and evaluates the work of the custodial and maintenance personnel.
- Coordinates the entire B&G personnel program and works to resolve problems in personnel performance
- Ensures that custodial/maintenance personnel are regularly trained in the latest technology and safety procedures:
-Evaluates the performance of custodians in accordance with board policy.
- Assist in oversight of safe work practices.
- Job Training
- Organizes and implements when necessary the training of building and grounds personnel and all custodial staff.
- Assist in Right-To-Know and AHERA compliance with maintenance personnel.
- Other Duties
- Operate within the framework of all board policies, administrative directions and state laws/regulations,
- Performs any other duties and responsibilities incidental to the office or as may be assigned by the Director of Buildings and Grounds.
The Montclair Board of Education is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Terms: 12 month, salary and benefits as determined by the board.
Evaluation: Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with the Board's policy on evaluation of non-certified staff.
Board approved: 5/3/2017
Montclair School District
22 Valley Rd., Montclair, NJ 07042
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $19,422 (USD)
% ELL Students
State Average: 5%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 12.25
% IEP Students
State Average: 16%
State Average: 345